1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My riding has got worse

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by walker, 22 May 2008.

1. walker

walker New Member

It's been a while since I was last on a set of rollers till I just bought myself some recently, I remember it being hard to judge but I forgot just how hard. got on them last night and was all over the place, I never knew my handling skills were just so bad.

2. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

could partly explain the popularity of turbo trainers. I'm sure there are other, more valid reasons, for turbo -v- roller.

3. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

As an experiment (if possible), try using a heavier set of wheels, heavier rims/tyres especially may (should?) be more stable.

4. walker

walker New Member

like the idea but I doubt very much it will work, I would of still gone all over the place had I fitted car tyres to the bike.

I was ok after 10 minutes, but I could'nt believe my handling could deteriorate so rapidly like that.

5. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

I'd like to give it a try myself. I've read quite often that there's a noticeable difference between heavy/light tyres/wheels. It would be fun to calculate the figs, then try it to see.

6. yenrod

yenrod Guest

I thought Rollers are a whole lot worse to ride than the actual road itself :eek:

7. graham56

graham56 Veteran

First and last time i was on rollers was back in 72, they belonged to a mate and i almost crippled myself when i fell off them.:eek:
    Not as easy as it looks.

8. walker

walker New Member

only as you have about a foot and a hlaf to move about in, about the same as a cycle lane

9. Trillian

Trillian New Member

good practice then!

10. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Merckx was a big fan of them !

11. walker

walker New Member

and look how crap he was:biggrin:

12. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

Some e-motion rolloers in action here

13. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

When I was in Yangzhou this winter and the snow and ice was bad, one of the lads in the LBS told me I could have his a try out. Reading the above means one of two things, either he couldn't use them or he wanted me to have some problems, glad I declined the offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!