My S/S, Fixed & Track obsession

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
These arrived this morning so a busy half hour to fit them now

635grammes.jpg

P1050949.jpg

Just need to find a nice seatpost and this will be finished

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Can't believe it but this is the lightest bike I have ever had, as it stands in the pictures below it comes in at a hefty 6.51 KGS or 14.35 LBS in old money.

P1050951.jpg

P1050952.jpg

P1050954.jpg

P1050953.jpg

ChrisMc

I wish I had bought one 25 years ago, I enjoy the simplicity of them, the lack of gears and not having to think about shifting them, then there's also the ease of maintenance in the winter, plenty positives and few negatives. Get yourself something of quality, the cheap £199 ones are that price for a reason. The Genesis Flyer which is the replacement for the Genesis Skyline (see above) is a lovely riding bike, expensive for what it is but nicely made and soaks up the miles. If you go fixed make sure you have at the very least a front brake fitted

I'm with you on not buying a cheap one made that mistake with the geared road bike. People who don't ride them think they are silly money and can not understand why you would pay so much for a bike, but what a difference they are, like chalk and cheese. I think you've just convinced me to get one but you wouldn't have with my wife would you haha.
Never really fancied a Fixie I like free-wheeling every now and then.

Good weight, that's lighter than my TCR and I thought that was light

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
I certainly got a bit of a shock when I put it on the scales as it's almost 1kg lighter than my Ridley Oval

Been doing a bit of polishing tonight, the old spare Shimano pedals are looking a bit worse for wear so I decided to give them a bit of a spruce up

Before
photo-9.jpg

After
photo-8-1.jpg

One done and one still to do

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Managed to buy a 17° stem and fitted it today. I'll leave the extra steerer length for now until my T4 is a bit more supple then I'll look at slamming it

P1050958A.jpg

P1010757a.jpg

P1010763a.jpg

P1010766a.jpg

Almost completed, just have to decide on a new seatpost. The one fitted was removed from another bike because it doesn't hold the saddle firmly so I need to make my mind up as to whether I want to match the stem with a Zipp Service Course SL beyond black or go for something different. I have to say I am liking the stealth of the Zipp but I grudge the almost £100 for an alloy stem

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Well I think that's the Giant Omnium sorted out for the time being, I decided to stick with a Ritchey seatpost but will keep a look out for a Zipp Service Course SL Beyond Black at the right price as there is no way I'm giving the best part of £100 for one.

Now I'm looking forward to trying it out on the track to compare it with the Ridley Oval

photo-22.jpg

photo-18.jpg

photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

zizou

Veteran
Looks good...although on the Omnium you could perhaps drop the bars a couple of spacers and flip the stem until you get the flexibility back, would be a bit lighter and stiffer and IMO look a bit better.

Chain's slack :thumbsup:
Looking good!

Looks fine to me! Track bikes are more efficient with the chain a bit slacker, you dont need to worry about slipping a chain so much compared to on the road because the surface is alot smoother

Reactions: GGJ
OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Slack, never, it's perfect and would be impossible to drop the chain where it is

I want to try it on the track before cutting the steerer, best start a bit high and work downwards. Will be taking some tools with me when I test drive it and make adjustments as required :bicycle:

ayceejay

Guru
Just a personal preference but I prefer the look of a chain set that is all one colour and the black Miche chain ring is just wrong in my eyes.

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Just a personal preference but I prefer the look of a chain set that is all one colour and the black Miche chain ring is just wrong in my eyes.
Hmm, I actually think the black chainring looks good on this, kind of works well with the black of the frame, seatpost and stem

Like the red spokes by the valves.:thumbsup:
Something a bit different, I guess they are for finding the valve easily :laugh:

OP
OP
GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
I found some mega bargain Pro Vibe Carbon track bars for sale and had to have them

The carbon is rather lovely and they do not require bar tape as the grips are a roughened finish

P1060007.jpg

P1060003.jpg

P1060006.jpg

Now I have to decide which track bike they will be fitted to

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom