My Sack hangs too low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This thread has puzzled me because there is one obvious point missing. The OP wants to mount the bag with the clear pouch facing forward and his phone placed in it to record video.

Assuming this is successful, and I cannot for the life of me see how it will be, all that will happen is the phone bounces around and the video will be close to useless.

I can't imagine why a bag of this size would be needed on the handlebars. What could one carry that one would need to safely access while riding? If a bag is essential for access while riding I would buy a small one which mounts on the top tube. The OP's sweets could live in there. A large traditional saddlebag style bag could be used on the seat for larger items.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
This thread has puzzled me because there is one obvious point missing. The OP wants to mount the bag with the clear pouch facing forward and his phone placed in it to record video.

Assuming this is successful, and I cannot for the life of me see how it will be, all that will happen is the phone bounces around and the video will be close to useless.

I can't imagine why a bag of this size would be needed on the handlebars. What could one carry that one would need to safely access while riding? If a bag is essential for access while riding I would buy a small one which mounts on the top tube. The OP's sweets could live in there. A large traditional saddlebag style bag could be used on the seat for larger items.
Point well raised. Glad you have taken time to read and understand what I'm trying to do.

The phone bounces around in the current mount and the videos are not ideal but far better than nothing. The bag cost £5 so I can't expect perfect footage.

It's only sweets and works pass I access while riding. For some reason cycle jackets don't have side pockets! I did try a small bag as you recommended but I could not fit my gym kit in there. The whole idea of the larger bag is to do away with clutter - ie pannier, bar bag and phone mount merged into one.

Ref your prediction on success, all I can do is post a video when the £3 bar extender has arrived.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@sleuthey OK I understand all this. I think in your position I would make some changes rather than adapt.

1. Continue with the current phone mount if you are happy with it. Years ago I mounted an iPhone on my handle bars with a cheap mount. It was rock steady. Similar must still be available if you want to improve this.
  2. A small top tube mounted bag would be ideal for sweets and work pass. You would probably be able to fit a battery booster as well if that's an issue.
  3. There are many excellent variations on bags purpose designed to attach to your seat post. They come in a variety of sizes and I feel sure would easily carry gym kit, lunch, tools, rain jacket etc.
I can't help but feel trying to adapt what looks to me like a rather unsuitable bag will work. Plan what you need and where and buy bags accordingly. I think you'll then end up with a very good solution and handlebars free of clutter.

Top Bottom