My Saddle is Nothing But a Pain in the ah . . . rear! (Update)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
That’s good advice. I will do as you suggested. I measured my saddle and it’s 5 3/4” across at the widest point. My height is 6’ 1” tall. Do you think a wider saddle is in order? What does KOPS mean?

If you google how to measure your sit bones and then apply that to saddle width sizing it can be very helpful, that is how I found out my road bike saddle was too narrow. Taller people tend to need wider saddles but is it a very individual thing.

KOPS is just a method to work out the best fore / aft saddle position. Just google "KOPS saddle". It just provides a useful starting point for most people which you can then adjust from.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

If you google how to measure your sit bones and then apply that to saddle width sizing it can be very helpful, that is how I found out my road bike saddle was too narrow. Taller people tend to need wider saddles but is it a very individual thing.

KOPS is just a method to work out the best fore / aft saddle position. Just google "KOPS saddle". It just provides a useful starting point for most people which you can then adjust from.

Thank you for that advice. I will check on it as you advised.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Thank you for the link.

Edit:
I just went to the link. Awesome. I will measure accordingly. I signed up for their newsletter. Thank you again.

I just moved my saddle back about 3/4 " according to the measurement suggestion. The center of the pedal is right at the front of my knee now with the pedals parallel to the ground. I also ordered a padded gel cover on Amazon that has good reviews. Hopefully with the adjustments and the padding, all will be fine. I will take my tool kit out with me in case I need to tweak any adjustments.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I remember as a boy I had a Brooks racing saddle. Never an issue with saddle soreness. Rode everywhere. I guess as we get older, we become more fragile. Brooks saddles are very stiff at first, but I guess over time they soften up.
I find them OK straight out of the box and then they just get better!

User66445

Brooks are less than ideal on a Brompton because, depending on your height, they may not go back far enough as the rail is shorter than on most. Definitely a try before you buy.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Brooks are less than ideal on a Brompton because, depending on your height, they may not go back far enough as the rail is shorter than on most. Definitely a try before you buy.

I’m heading out to my Brompton dealer this week.

12boy

Guru
I too like leather saddles although I prefer a Velo Orange #6, a narrow saddle much like a Brooks professional. These saddles have sIightly longer rails, BTW, than do Brooks. I understand that, contrary to intuition, a firm, narrow saddle will result in your weight being placed only on your sitbones, and not on the soft tisue that is between and around them. Those bones get sore after the first rides but soon become desensitized to the pressure. Putting pressure on the area between them can result in numbness and the friction of your thighs and associated parts, coupled with high temps, at least for me, causes saddle sores. In Arizona high temps are a fact of life as in most of the Southwest. An upright position with too high a saddle increases the pressure on your sitbones but relieves the pressure on wrists and palms. I have read about KOPS and have tried that, but still prefer to sit a bit further behind the pedals. You will probably have to tinker a bit to find the ideal position after you harden up the sitbones.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I too like leather saddles although I prefer a Velo Orange #6, a narrow saddle much like a Brooks professional. These saddles have sIightly longer rails, BTW, than do Brooks. I understand that, contrary to intuition, a firm, narrow saddle will result in your weight being placed only on your sitbones, and not on the soft tisue that is between and around them. Those bones get sore after the first rides but soon become desensitized to the pressure. Putting pressure on the area between them can result in numbness and the friction of your thighs and associated parts, coupled with high temps, at least for me, causes saddle sores. In Arizona high temps are a fact of life as in most of the Southwest. An upright position with too high a saddle increases the pressure on your sitbones but relieves the pressure on wrists and palms. I have read about KOPS and have tried that, but still prefer to sit a bit further behind the pedals. You will probably have to tinker a bit to find the ideal position after you harden up the sitbones.

Thanks for the info. Someone suggested I measure the sit-bones and purchase a saddle accordingly.

I thought that a more upright position would cause more pressure on the sit-bones, as you pointed out. For me I will certainly have to keep tweaking things, because on top of having sit-bone duress, I also have to deal with numbness in the hands. I sure hope I will figure all of this out so I can start enjoying my rides.

12boy

Guru
Ergon grips with barends can help your hands by spreading the pressure off the nerve coming through the base of your palm and providing some alternate hand positions. Being a softie I also cork taped mine and did 20 miles today with litlle trouble. Longer trips might require taking a break every so often.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Ergon grips with barends can help your hands by spreading the pressure off the nerve coming through the base of your palm and providing some alternate hand positions. Being a softie I also cork taped mine and did 20 miles today with litlle trouble. Longer trips might require taking a break every so often.

Absolutely. I have some nice ergo grips but I need to get bar ends that won’t impede the fold.

Top Bottom