My Shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, after a period of uncertainty; of damp and repeated bitumen failures, today, tonight I toast my shed! Back from the dead thanks to the efforts of my step-father and my brother who put it right with much expertise and Onduline whilst I was at work myself. This really is a case of Rome was built in a day and I'm so glad, I thought I'd begin a thread on what some may consider, perhaps wrongly, that last bastion of boyishness, of chauvinistic endeavour - for what is a 'man' without his shed..?

Not only do I look forward to hours of fettlery and other indulgences but it becomes my own private place once more beyond the reach of children and the fairer half. Luckily my other half hates spiders and within a few weeks added to this will be the healthy stench of empty beer bottles, the eclectic clutter of cds lying about the place, the reek of GT-85, oil and a healthy sprinkling of bike parts. I've already even 'created' a problem that needs 'sorting' such is the love affair about to be once more.

So, pictures will follow and perhaps a sofa and a DVD player too, but do any other cyclechatters feel this way about their beloved sheds? Is it a place that you too visit to be alone in the solace of your own fettledom? Is the shed truly the best room in the house? And perhaps whilst others see the ultimate status symbol in the shape of a Mercedes or a Lexus, do you too agree that the only status symbol that really matters, is having a beer fridge in the heart of the home?

defy-one

Couldn't agree more. It's the one place no one else uses. It's 80 feet down the bottom of the garden. Has power.has fridge.has beer :becool:

D

Deleted member 1258

Sadly my sheds are no more, much affected by rot they were beyond saving so I'm shedless until the new one arrives. At the moment the house looks like steptoes yard, I'm half expecting to come into the house and find Harold and Albert on my settee with mugs of tea in their hands, with shed contents piled in the dinning part of our through lounge, the box room and anywhere else we could find room.

Image0075.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sadly my sheds are no more, much affected by rot they were beyond saving so I'm shedless until the new one arrives. At the moment the house looks like steptoes yard, I'm half expecting to come into the house and find Harold and Albert on my settee with mugs of tea in their hands, with shed contents piled in the dinning part of our through lounge, the box room and anywhere else we could find room.

View attachment 11640
Dave, I feel your pain.:sad:
Edit: after MR's post above, perhaps that should be "I feel your joy"

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Zen Sheddism I'd go as far as saying, Slow.

I had a full extra long garage all to myself, then the kitchen got extended, lost 3m of garage.
The remaining year the rest of the garage was converted into a bedroom for my disabled son so me n my bits were relegated to a new metal shed unfortunately just big enough to store all my gear, gardening stuff and two bikes.
My Workshop is the huge kitchen when I can.... No escape zone :sad:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
I had a full extra long garage all to myself, then the kitchen got extended, lost 3m of garage.
The remaining year the rest of the garage was converted into a bedroom for my disabled son so me n my bits were relegated to a new metal shed unfortunately just big enough to store all my gear, gardening stuff and two bikes.
My Workshop is the huge kitchen when I can.... No escape zone :sad:

But, there must be opportunity here too Tony? I'm talking filthy grease ridden cassettes and chains in the dishwashing bowl, degreaser and MUc oFF in place of Fairy? I sense this is yet another problem that can be turned about existentially?

Perhaps 'Shed' is a state of mind?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
But, there must be opportunity here too Tony? I'm talking filthy grease ridden cassettes and chains in the dishwashing bowl, degreaser and MUc oFF in place of Fairy? I sense this is yet another problem that can be turned about existentially?

Perhaps 'Shed' is a state of mind?
There are limits to this spiritual journey. Cladding your house with B&Q shiplap and annointing it with Salolins perhaps goes too far...?

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
There is no such thing as 'going too far' Slow, at least not in the eyes of innovators such as Tony and Dave. For them, enlightenment has already attained its perpetual status within the very foundation of the home itself... gurus they are.

From then on - sadolin or creosote, concrete or carpet, is of minor irrelevance along the transcendental path.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have two sheds to store bikes,one large very secure block built work shop with covered area out side,where the good bike lives ,and 150 foot from the house is my large fully lined and insulated summer house with sofa bed,full Internet and tv home from home ,it also has a full size punch bag for those temper tantrum moments

Top Bottom