My son has had an 'off'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a bit of a panic post from me, it should really be in 'touring' because he was just on the first day of a solo tour, having just completed his Finals at Stirling (sat the last paper only today), he was planning to go around the Highlands then down the length of England to us.

Putting the post here instead.

This evening, somewhere north of Crianlarich on the A82 towards Fort William, between 7-8 pm. We have very little information but he appears to have been hit by a vehicle which didn't stop (police have been informed but there may be no witnesses). He may have been unconscious for a while but his main injury seems to be a nasty cut to the face. Don't know what state the bike is in, hopefully the police have taken charge of it. Anyway he's been taken to Belford Hospital in Fort William where I've spoken to him by phone, he says he's all right; I also spoke to the doctor and nurses, and the main worry of the hospital is they want to x-ray his face for possible fractures.

Obviously this is a very trying time for us, especially since we're right the other end of the country in Sussex and there's no relative or friend up there we can call upon.

Oh sh!t sh!t sh!t. I suffer from panic attacks even when nothing like this happens. We're to phone the hospital again at about 11:30, by that time they'll have had a look at his xrays.

Sorry to unburden myself on the forum in this way but there are good folks on here.:sad:

Coco

Sorry to here that Pete. I'm a wee bit too far South to do anything immediately, but let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's terrible Pete - I hope that your lad's injuries turn out to be minor and that he makes a full and speedy recovery.

What kind of person just drives off after something like that! :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He'll be fine..like most cyclists - he will be up and off to continue......

Hope it's not bad, doesn't sound like it as he wouldn't be waiting

Sorry to hear this Pete. Fingers crossed all is OK. Young men are pretty resilient.

I hope that they do catch the person concerned, but, even if they don't, at least you've been able to speak to your son.

JiMBR

Sorry to hear about this Pete...wish your son all the best from everyone on CC!

OP
OP

661-Pete

No update yet from the hospital, just phoned them they say he's "still in X-ray and they're a wee bit busy tonight". I suppose that's pretty normal this time of night. I don't know Fort Wiliiam very well, anyone familiar with the hospital (Belford)?
Thanks for all the support guys I really need it.

hillrep

Veteran
No update yet from the hospital, just phoned them they say he's "still in X-ray and they're a wee bit busy tonight". I suppose that's pretty normal this time of night. I don't know Fort Wiliiam very well, anyone familiar with the hospital (Belford)?

I wish your son a speedy recovery.

I think Belford is well used to receiving people who have fallen off mountains when walking and climbing, and also gets "customers" from the nearby mounting biking areas. Your son will be in good and experienced hands. It was also a holiday weekend so likely to be busier than usual.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If it helps, form their website: -

An accident and emergency department, equipped from minor injuries to major resuscitation; the department is one of the busiest mountain trauma units in Europe.

They should be experienced at this sort of thing so hopefully your son is in good hands.

Top Bottom