My son is a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

ColinJ said:
I used to get really annoyed by the whistle off TVs (15.625 kHz) but I haven't been able to hear that for years - probably due to blasting my ears with loud music when I was a teenager.

Interesting... I could hear the whistle in my teens and twenties. I don't know whether the fact I now don't is because there aren't so many CRTs around or because I was a nightclub DJ. Or maybe its because I recently turned 30. ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
barq said:
I don't know whether the fact I now don't is because there aren't so many CRTs around or because I was a nightclub DJ. Or maybe its because I recently turned 30. :laugh:

It took you three guesses, but you got it right in the end.;):becool::biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
barq said:
Interesting... I could hear the whistle in my teens and twenties. I don't know whether the fact I now don't is because there aren't so many CRTs around or because I was a nightclub DJ. Or maybe its because I recently turned 30. ;)

There's nothing special about 30. I had a physics teacher at college that said it was physically impossible for anybody over 21 to hear the things described. When the mosquitos were introduced at first it was "no adults" would be able to hear it and with the stick they got it seems to have metamorphosised into an often quoted 25 or "young people". 30 I just made up as I think some of the claims made are utter nonsense but I'm sure that some people a bit older than that may not be able to hear the stuff and friends of mine that are older than me upto that age can hear it.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I'm sure you can generalise and say that hearing tails off with age but I can't see how you can possibly be dogmatic... about when it'll happen. I can remember noticing a difference in my hearing when I got to about nineteen, I could no longer hear things I had been able to. One ear also tailed off before the other.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
tyred said:
I had a schoolteacher who had super hearing. Even when he was writing on the blackboard with his back to the class, he could even the slightest whisper, rustle of sweetie papers or any sound at all. Bloody annoying and spoiled the fun in that class.

I am such a teacher :evil:

The kids can't believe my threshold of hearing - mp3 players, mobile phones, whispered obscenities I can still detect bats though I hasten to add it's not the ultrasonics that I can detect but their high pitched vocalisations.

Night Train

Maker of Things
vernon said:
I am such a teacher :evil:

The kids can't believe my threshold of hearing - mp3 players, mobile phones, whispered obscenities I can still detect bats though I hasten to add it's not the ultrasonics that I can detect but their high pitched vocalisations.
I'm like that, I can hear their earphones squeaking and sniff out which one of them has the stash of weed!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mr Pig said:
I'm sure you can generalise and say that hearing tails off with age but I can't see how you can possibly be dogmatic... about when it'll happen. I can remember noticing a difference in my hearing when I got to about nineteen, I could no longer hear things I had been able to. One ear also tailed off before the other.

Dogmatic? It's not me that's going round saying it's physically impossible for people in their 20s to not hear the mosquitos. I'm saying that humans often vary a great deal and what GPs or physics teachers assume to be unheard of is not that abnormal.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

marinyork said:
Dogmatic? It's not me that's going round saying ...

It was a joke. 'Dog' matic?

Top Bottom