My SR plans: 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've got round to doing a bit of planning so I thought I'd post what I am intending to do by way of my 2012 SR.

200: Denmead, 17 March
300: The Dean, 24 March
400: Severn Across, 12 May
600: Kernow & South West, 26/7 May

The first two are definites. I've wavered over my 4 and 600s. Last year I did the Buckingham Blinder (400) and Bryan Chapman (600) and they are both possibilities, but it's nice to do something different. The Pendle 600 also sounds extremely fab (especially as I come from northern England and the route links many places that I know) but the date isn't so good and, tbh, it's a bit hilly, for me.

I'm not doing Mille Alba (due to cloverleaf allergy) so this year's main objective is the 24-hour TT (21/2 July).

LouiseL

My main objective this year is to try and get a bit better on hills.
To this end I've entered Brevet Cymru(400) and Bryan Chapman (600):rofl:. The objective is just to get round them. I know that I won't be within the time limit for the BCM but want to do the ride anyway, despite feeling sick just thinking about it! I'm not aiming for an SR this year as I would have picked easier options! I've also entered Mille Alba. I'm expecting lumps aplenty and foul weather on that one, so I'm just going to ride it and see what happens.

Severn Across is a lovely ride. I was gutted it was the week before BCM which ruled it out for me this year.

K & SW and a 24 hour TT! My idea of bike hell! Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
You have a fine objective and one I wouldn't mind achieving myself!

The long welsh and scottish rides are great. I'd like to have a go at the Elenydd but I have a clash (excuse) this year.

Re Bryan Chapman, i think most people do get round in time because the second day is a fairly reasonable, if slightly overdistance, 200. So as long as you set off in the morning, which you will do because it's daylight, you are likely to make it. It's only if you take a bit more than 24 hours for the first day (which is a short 400) that you are against the clock. I expect you'll get round in time!

Re Mille Alba, Graeme arranged perfect weather for his glorious 600 last year. Maybe he will again!

Alberto

My first SR, if I ever make it, will be:

- Up the Uts 200
- Dean 300 (with a plan B, Green & Yellow Fields)
- National 400
- 600 still to be decided. Cannot do any of the May/June ones, so it will have to be either the East & West Coasts or the Denmead Series... Any advice?

Still very new to all this, so don't really contemplate doing long rides as perms or DIY just yet.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I will see you in the car park at Oxford in a few weeks' time for the Dean.

I'm also considering doing the Green & Yellow Fields. The the midnight start is fun, makes logistics a lot easier and also I know Tomsk, the organiser, from PBP. I've done a couple of his events before and they've been very good, with excellent weather!

I've not done E&W or Denmead (although I researched Denmead on YACF and it had a good write-up). And, while I've done long rides, I've never felt the need to add admin to make them into DIYs / Perms, so no experience of that, either.

Alberto

Yep, will see you there. Looking fwd to the Dean, have heard many good things about it!

The Green & Yellow Fields also sounds fantastic, and the National 400 seems like a good 400 for newbies. Will decided whether I will do E&W or Denmead nearer the time. Will look for that thread on yacf...thanks!

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Dean is also on my SR plan.
Did the Poor Student as my 200, and entered the BCM.:wacko:
Am thinking of the National as the preferred choice for a 400, but it's quite a distance to travel, so it may be Vorspring's Avalon intead although I do have a "conflict" on that date.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's a few years since I last rode the K&SW. For some reason I always seem to be busy that weekend.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
It's a few years since I last rode the K&SW. For some reason I always seem to be busy that weekend.

:laugh: I wonder why that is!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Damn I've started to think about this too.

I'm already doing the Nippy Sweetie 200 (31/3) and the Snow Roads for 300 (2/6), Now I'm considering Llanfair P 400(26/5) and the Cambrian 600 (14/7).

When I think that the furthest I've ever ridden is 217km, I think 'ambitious' is probably the right description :wacko:

LouiseL

When I think that the furthest I've ever ridden is 217km, I think 'ambitious' is probably the right description :wacko:

You'll be fine. I'd only ever ridden a couple of 200ks (2 years earlier) before last year. If I can do it you should have no problem.

I'm just going to ride it and see what happens.

This sums up my attitude perfectly.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Damn I've started to think about this too.

I'm already doing the Nippy Sweetie 200 (31/3) and the Snow Roads for 300 (2/6), Now I'm considering Llanfair P 400(26/5) and the Cambrian 600 (14/7).

It looks like you need to update your signature, Marcus - a couple more distances need to be crossed off!
FWIW the hardest barrier for me was doing my first 200 (in summer 2010); all the later steps up in distance seemed to be less daunting. Looks like you have some great rides lined up.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I found 200 quite a barrier, it took two goes to crack it last year (out of time on the first ploughing up and over Hartside pass into a strong headwind). My major worry about the longer distances though is more about being fast enough to allow some sleep. I get full value out of the 200s I ride usually so building up a time bank for sleep on a longer ride might take a bit of doing (and losing a decent amount of weight :whistle:)

zigzag

Veteran
so far i've done poor student (200)and have entered the dean (300), easter arrow to york(400, got two spare places in a team starting from london bridge on the 6th april - anyone?), bryan chapman (600) and mille alba (1000). my biggest worry however is my broken elbow which did not heal properly and gives me severe pain after few hours in a saddle. hopefully i'll get it sorted later in the year.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
so far i've done poor student (200)and have entered the dean (300), easter arrow to york(400, got two spare places in a team starting from london bridge on the 6th april - anyone?), bryan chapman (600) and mille alba (1000). my biggest worry however is my broken elbow which did not heal properly and gives me severe pain after few hours in a saddle. hopefully i'll get it sorted later in the year.

Ohh, nasty...

I've never quite managed to work out what exactly Easter Arrows involves. Will probably be away but otherwise would have liked to take one of the places.

Look forward to catching up at the Peartree car park again!

Top Bottom