My SR plans: 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
First event of the season - the Dean 300. I got round surprisingly quickly considering my lack of riding since last August.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
First event completed - Nippy Sweetie (with nippy head wind all the way round) with 4 mins to spare. I think I'm going to need a flatter 300 if I'm going to get round in time. Thinking about the Wiggy 300.

Noodley

First event completed - Nippy Sweetie (with nippy head wind all the way round) with 4 mins to spare.

I didnae realise who you were til you had left the Comrie control, and eck told me your name...you timed the event well, I'll forgive you being 4 minutes early this time :laugh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It was nice to meet you. Sorry I was probably not making a lot of sense, it takes me a while to readjust at controls.

Unfortunately the two brothers who arrived at Comrie as I was setting off finished a few minutes out of time, so I suppose I kept Lanterne Rouge pace pretty well.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I've got round to doing a bit of planning so I thought I'd post what I am intending to do by way of my 2012 SR.

200: Denmead, 17 March
300: The Dean, 24 March
400: Severn Across, 12 May
600: Kernow & South West, 26/7 May

The first two are definites. I've wavered over my 4 and 600s. Last year I did the Buckingham Blinder (400) and Bryan Chapman (600) and they are both possibilities, but it's nice to do something different. The Pendle 600 also sounds extremely fab (especially as I come from northern England and the route links many places that I know) but the date isn't so good and, tbh, it's a bit hilly, for me.

I'm not doing Mille Alba (due to cloverleaf allergy) so this year's main objective is the 24-hour TT (21/2 July).

Pleased to say that I've now completed the list above - apart from the Denmead 200 which I couldn't make for some reason which I can't now remember. But I have done other 200s, so can now tick off my SR.

I had decent weather on all of these. The Dean went very well and I was almost an hour quicker than last year. The Severn Across, for some reason, was far harder for me, and I was much slower than the Dean, considering they are very similar routes. And I am still hung over from the K&SW: probably the hardest ride I've done and I'll need some time to collect my thoughts.

Next challenge is the 24hour TT. Having got the long and hilly stuff out of the way, I'll be seeking out some faster and flatter rides over the next few weeks, starting with the Flitchbikes 200 this coming Saturday (assuming I get over the K&SW by then)

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
And I am still hung over from the K&SW: probably the hardest ride I've done and I'll need some time to collect my thoughts.
Chapeau frank! I was at the arrivee on Sunday rustling up well-deserved teas and cheese on toast, so hello again. Thought you looked vaguely familiar - must be from your avatar! :hello:

Chuffy has still not recovered even though he cut the ride short...

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Surely you'd have remembered if you served cheese on toast to a headless torso?
You should have seen the state of some of the finishers...

fungus

Veteran
600km - ?

The 600 will be a problem unless I can condense my program, as there are no events that late in the year. A DIY or a permanent is a possibility, but I really don't fancy riding that distance on my own at this stage.

What are the experienced Audaxers thoughts?

If you are looking for a 600k later in the year there is the Denmead: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-665/

Otherwise Steve Abrahams & Rich Forrest organise a DIY 600 every year around September time the sole purpose being to help people achieve an SR series :thumbsup:
Have a look on yacf though as I dont think they put it on here.

fungus

Veteran
So far I've done:

Several 200's
Easter Arrow 400k
Bryan Chapman 600K

I've got the Moors & Wolds 400 9/06/12 & if I finish it that will be my 3rd SR on the bounce :smile:
Also down for the Mille Alba at the end of June too.

Top Bottom