My SR plans: 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I found 200 quite a barrier, it took two goes to crack it last year (out of time on the first ploughing up and over Hartside pass into a strong headwind). My major worry about the longer distances though is more about being fast enough to allow some sleep. I get full value out of the 200s I ride usually so building up a time bank for sleep on a longer ride might take a bit of doing (and losing a decent amount of weight :whistle:)

The terrain you are riding in is easily a couple of hours slower than a SE 200km, which obviously will have nothing like Hartside, so there's no shame in that!

fungus

Veteran
Damn I've started to think about this too.

I'm already doing the Nippy Sweetie 200 (31/3) and the Snow Roads for 300 (2/6), Now I'm considering Llanfair P 400(26/5) and the Cambrian 600 (14/7).

When I think that the furthest I've ever ridden is 217km, I think 'ambitious' is probably the right description :wacko:

The Llanfair is a nice ride, there's a few lumps but nothing too bad. If you get round the snow roads I'd imagine it'll be a doddle.

I'm in again on this one :thumbsup:

DooBlood

Hi Forum folk, my SR series looks like this:

200 7 April Sam Weller's April Foolery
400 5 May Brevet Cymru
600 28 July The 3 coasts
300 11 Aug A rough diamond

I chose the 200 because Black Sheep events have always (with 1 exception) been good, and this is an event I have not ridden before. I cycled the Brevet Cymru last year and it was great, however, I got lost and added 30k to my distance and missed the Llanfair... sign that I wanted to photograph. Cycled the BCM last year and figured this year I would tackle something easier - love riding by the coast, so the 3 coasts seems a winner. My 300 is another Black Sheep event that I have not ridden and the organiser said it was his best 300 so I'll give it a go and see what I think. Completed the Dean last year, and like the BCM this was quite tough.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Oh well. I've entered my first event of the year - the Dean, from Oxford. I'm morally obliged to ride the National 400. It's a little early to worry about the others just yet. I am contemplating attempting to obtain six points without riding an actual 600 event.

stevevw

Guru
I am sort of thinking of a SR this year as well as a RRtY
So far:
Jan - Poor Student 200 - Done
Feb - Kennet Valley 200 - Done
Mar - Start of Summertime 210 - Entered
Apr - Green & Yellow 300 - Entered
May - Severn Across now full so Probably a 200 ECCA or Edmund\'s?
June - National 400? But should be doing the first two days of the Fridays Tour which I may be able to use the ride home from York as a DIY 300 - 400

Not thought of a 600 yet, to be honest the thought of a 300 is bad enough. When I got to 150km on the Kennet it suddenly hit me that if I was doing a 300 I would only be half way, which worried me for a while until I had the last hilly 50km to worry about more xx(

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Ok, looks like Im not doing the severn across then if its full. And prob have to dns Denmead this weekend.
Am going to do the green & yellow fields though.

My technique, Steve, has generally been to not think about distance done and distance to go as i find it both spoils my enjoyment of the ride and gives me those sort of things to worry about.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm aiming for an SR this year, as part of my training for the LEL.

I started the 600km training plan in Simon Doughty's book a couple of weeks before Christmas, which means I'll be doing a 600 at the end of August.

My choice of events is restricted because I don't drive and since I was laid-off, work has been thin on the ground so little money for train fares.

So far this is what I've got pencilled in:
200km - Witham Westerley; ECCA Festival 200; Edmund's Folk Go Paddling; Castles & The Coast (clashes with the Dunwich Dynamo).
300km - Hereward The Wake.
400km - Audax UK National 400.
600km - ?

I won't necessarily ride all the 200s, but they coincide with when I'm scheduled to ride those distances anyway, so if funds allow I might as well do them: being easier to cover distance in company than solo.

The 600 will be a problem unless I can condense my program, as there are no events that late in the year. A DIY or a permanent is a possibility, but I really don't fancy riding that distance on my own at this stage.

What are the experienced Audaxers thoughts?

Tynan

Veteran
ludicrouly I already have a 100km and 200km stamped and in the bag plus another 200km inc ride to and from done, a 300km this weekend including to and from and a 400km arrows in two weeks time

so just an official 300km and and I imagine the tricksy 600km to go, and it's only March

(yes, I know I haven;t actually ridden the 300km and 400km yet :ohmy:)

Tynan

Veteran
isn't it, and me a humble commuter, it's my mid life crisis year

that Hereford the Wake 300 loked well handy for me until I saw the 9pm start, what's that all about? Better to start in dark and finish in daylight I suppose but surely at that time of the year the day is long enough to fit a 300 in?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm tempted by the Green & Yellow fields as it starts at 0:01am, so all the night bits are done first (after a group trip to the curry house too :smile:). Unfortunately it's a long way away from me

Tynan

Veteran
green and yellow is rather handy for me

night riding isn't at the top of my favourite things to do, spec not when I'm tired

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm aiming for an SR this year, as part of my training for the LEL.

I started the 600km training plan in Simon Doughty's book a couple of weeks before Christmas, which means I'll be doing a 600 at the end of August.

My choice of events is restricted because I don't drive and since I was laid-off, work has been thin on the ground so little money for train fares.

So far this is what I've got pencilled in:
200km - Witham Westerley; ECCA Festival 200; Edmund's Folk Go Paddling; Castles & The Coast (clashes with the Dunwich Dynamo).
300km - Hereward The Wake.
400km - Audax UK National 400.
600km - ?

I won't necessarily ride all the 200s, but they coincide with when I'm scheduled to ride those distances anyway, so if funds allow I might as well do them: being easier to cover distance in company than solo.

The 600 will be a problem unless I can condense my program, as there are no events that late in the year. A DIY or a permanent is a possibility, but I really don't fancy riding that distance on my own at this stage.

What are the experienced Audaxers thoughts?

Simon Doughty's book is very good. I followed his guidance to get ready for PBP last year.

I wouldn't recommend doing your first 600 as a solo event - far easier to have some company and some back-up if things don't work out to plan.

It's not absolutely essential to do a 600 this year if it is not easy to make it fit in. If you get round your 400 you have done the hard bit of a 600 so that would be a decent enough aim for this year.

I did the Hereward last year. The evening start makes the logistics really easy - you don't need hotels or early morning starts if you ride through the night! (also, it was good preparation for PBP as that was also an evening start). I wish more events started in the evening.

Good luck!

Top Bottom