My strangest collision yet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I agree that swerving in front of a moving car can be dangerous but how fast was the car going? Not much more than walking speed if that and the OP had plenty of room and time to move left and avoid the incident.
Lets see. The driver is driving erratically. Unpredictably. I'd suggest that there is a risk that, as you pass to the left, the driver might decide that the pedal on the right deserves a good pressing. Perhaps he can 'beat the cyclist across the junction'. The car is no longer going at walking pace - it's going at hurting pace. The speed of cars, like the value of shares, can change. Even worse, you might now be lying on the road in front of the car. Being London, there's a fair old chance that the driver isn't strictly 'legal' - no insurance, possibly no licence. He decides to do a runner and you've just turned into a human speedbump.

Just like many of your in-depth analyses (again - why the downer on cams, you love 'em!) this is conjecture, but based on the evidence I'd have done exactly what Ben did - try to scrub off as much speed as possible and AVOID THE FRONT OF THE CAR.

Arms now. The video doesn't show Ben's arms. Does he have arms? Unless he's had a horrific industrial accident since the FNRttC to Bognor last month, I can confirm he has arms. Did an arm make contact with the car? The video doesn't tell us, so we have to take Ben's description on trust. I believe Ben because I see no reason for him to lie. You do not believe Ben because you regard him, like every other rider who posts videos on here, to be a needy attention-seeker with borderline Münchausen's. Can you understand why people might get a bit tetchy?

Arch

Married to Night Train
This pains me a little,

I sorta agree with Mr Hippo (there said it out loud)

Point 1. Driver in the wrong 100%

This is how I see it
Driver goes to turn right sees cyclist so aborts the turn,
He then moves forward some more and then anticapting the cyclist is going to carry on straight rather than stop turns again and gets caught out by the cyclist stopping.

Whose fault driver 100%
Could the cyclist have taken some action to reduce the chance of teh incident - yes by putting more distance between him and the motorist by moving to the left

Oh come on. You think that dozy idiot was anticipating anything?

No, he went to turn right and aborted it because he suddenly realised he was going down THE WRONG SIDE OF THE SIDE ROAD. I doubt he even saw the cyclist. And if you saw someone about to swing across your path, to drive down the wrong side of the side road, you'd continue riding towards them? You wouldn't slow, or stop and wait to see what idiocy they'd come up with next?

If the cyclist had moved to the left (how? sideways bunny hop?) that driver would just have travelled a foot or two further before he hit the cyclist.

Lizban

Oh come on. You think that dozy idiot was anticipating anything?

No, he went to turn right and aborted it because he suddenly realised he was going down THE WRONG SIDE OF THE SIDE ROAD. I doubt he even saw the cyclist. And if you saw someone about to swing across your path, to drive down the wrong side of the side road, you'd continue riding towards them? You wouldn't slow, or stop and wait to see what idiocy they'd come up with next?

If the cyclist had moved to the left (how? sideways bunny hop?) that driver would just have travelled a foot or two further before he hit the cyclist.

As you describe him - I wouldn't have stopped in front of him!
He was a nightmare my mind is get as much space as I can between him and me, so brake and turn to the left as opposed to a straight line would have been my first reaction.

Lets see. The driver is driving erratically. Unpredictably. I'd suggest that there is a risk that, as you pass to the left, the driver might decide that the pedal on the right deserves a good pressing. Perhaps he can 'beat the cyclist across the junction'. The car is no longer going at walking pace - it's going at hurting pace. The speed of cars, like the value of shares, can change. Even worse, you might now be lying on the road in front of the car. Being London, there's a fair old chance that the driver isn't strictly 'legal' - no insurance, possibly no licence. He decides to do a runner and you've just turned into a human speedbump.

Just like many of your in-depth analyses (again - why the downer on cams, you love 'em!) this is conjecture, but based on the evidence I'd have done exactly what Ben did - try to scrub off as much speed as possible and AVOID THE FRONT OF THE CAR.

Arms now. The video doesn't show Ben's arms. Does he have arms? Unless he's had a horrific industrial accident since the FNRttC to Bognor last month, I can confirm he has arms. Did an arm make contact with the car? The video doesn't tell us, so we have to take Ben's description on trust. I believe Ben because I see no reason for him to lie. You do not believe Ben because you regard him, like every other rider who posts videos on here, to be a needy attention-seeker with borderline Münchausen's. Can you understand why people might get a bit tetchy?

I await Mr Hippo's reply with baited breath....:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I await Mr Hippo's reply with baited breath....:biggrin:

You'll be a lovely shade of blue then - he's not going to comment any more on video threads. He's leaving it up to us 'chavs'. Now... where's ma Burberry cap, man? Geeza swally o' yir Buckie ya bam. D'eh youz lookit me glaikit or ah'll panel yiz, ya faaaaannies!

You'll be a lovely shade of blue then - he's not going to comment any more on video threads. He's leaving it up to us 'chavs'. Now... where's ma Burberry cap, man? Geeza swally o' yir Buckie ya bam. D'eh youz lookit me glaikit or ah'll panel yiz, ya faaaaannies!

He has said, he wasn't going to comment again, before. He just can't help himself.

[Arnie voice] He'll be back. [/Arnie voice] :biggrin:

OP
OP
benborp

benborp

Guru
I posted the video originally for its amusement value. I found it slightly comical that I spotted a car crossing my path in a manner that made me wary and that my reaction of pulling to a stop about forty feet short of where I could have expected our paths to cross still wasn't sufficient space to avoid a minor collision.

I don't think anyone can seriously expect a cyclist to mitigate the consequences of an incident such as this any better than I did. I brought the bike with me still on it to a controlled stop from 27mph to 40ft short of where the car was crossing my path. In the three to four seconds preceding the impact the driver changed speed or direction at least six times. The possibility of assessing whether the car would pass to my left, right or strike me head-on and respond by putting sufficient lateral distance between us from an unplanned dead stop (on fixed) simply didn't exist.

I'm pleased with the outcome, the driver was apologetic and hopefully scared himself into taking a bit more care, my bike escaped without damage, I escaped without injury to tell the tale with the moral that even leaving more than enough margin for the unexpected still isn't enough. Considering that it would have been a very easy decision to maintain speed and pass behind the car that was obviously turning right and would be well clear of my path I'm fortunate that I'm a more wary rider than that and haven't suffered a head-on 30mph+ impact and then been trundled over by a bus.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ben, I'm sorry you feel you have to justify yourself to some of these posters. They are not worthy, IMO. Neither am I for that matter. :tongue:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
...I'm pleased with the outcome, the driver was apologetic and hopefully scared himself into taking a bit more care, my bike escaped without damage....
Aye, it was good to see someone acknowledge their mistake instead of inviting you to perform some self-love. In that sort of situation, it's case-closed as far as I'm concerned. Conversely, I've no problem apologising if I've made a balls-up and I'd hope the recipient would accept it with reasonably good grace.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think anyone can seriously expect a cyclist to mitigate the consequences of an incident such as this any better than I did.

But clearly, you should have forseen exactly what would happen, and somehow, possibly by means of a teleport device yet to be invented, got right out of the way. Silly boy.

;)

For what it's worth, I'd probably have done the same - slow right down or stop and assume that the idiot would work round me. In any tricky situation it's normally better if one party stands still - think of the dance people do when they meet in a corridor and can't decide which way to pass.

In this case, it just happened that the other party was even dafter than you might expect. Well done.

Top Bottom