My strangest collision yet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Should I waste some of my precious time replying to this? I know I shouldn't but I probably will. That incident was completely avoidable. The driver wanted to turn right, started the turn, realised that he could not and moved left to rejoin the main road. Cyclist has plenty of time to see what was happening and plenty of space to move to the left and avoid the car but... "I've got a helmet camera fitted; this will make good footage for youtube and might earn me a few Brownie points on a cycling forum/"
You mention 'collision' - what collision?
Just call me Paul the Octopus!
https://www.cyclechat.net/

For the record (and I know this is pointless with you), swerving in front of a manoeuvring car is a VERY BAD THING. It's the difference between unpleasant but limited contact and being launched over the bonnet or under the wheels. Very poor 'advice' hippo.

Yeah hey! Mr Hippo is back in commuting! :laugh:

We've missed your 'interesting' comments. Look back through the threads, there are a few posts from myself you could try completely misinterpreting, missunderstanding and generally making a fool of yourself dissecting with your in depth analysis. :whistle:

I wonder if Mr Hippo is in fact the idiot this morning that turned right, across my path, and then told me that I should have been in the gutter so it was my fault. (How riding in the gutter helps when someone driving towards you turns right, I will never know)

Probably not, but certainly shares the same logic

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mr Hippo never fails to disappoint. He's obsessed with people who wear cameras either:

(a) manufacturing the entire incident in some kind of bizarre two-wheeled honeytrap in order to smear the innocent motorist, or;
(B) cycle badly and post up their videos in an effort to boost their ego and improve their own self-worth.

In his defence, however, his posts on the subject are always amusingly predictable. ;)

OP
OP
benborp

benborp

Guru
Oh mr_hippo, you've made me laugh.

Collision, what collision? Maybe it's when I was struck by the car? Take your pick of arm, leg or the impact on the rear wheel. Sorry if contact wasn't sufficient enough for you, I'll make sure next time I'm confronted with the unpredictable I generate a bit more gore, maybe a bit more snap with the odd fracture or three? Shouldn't be a problem to arrange. Buffoon.

CorsairC

Über Member
He really wasn't paying any attention there. His lack of awareness is dangerous. But it does happen so shouldn't a surpise. Looking at the video you've time to second guess it, and you might think benborp can just stop, and go left. But it happened quite fast. IMO BenBorp started to slow as soon as he saw the driver and you wouldn't expect the driver to keep coming. looked like BenBorp had just stopped, I imagine thinking going wtf. Thats said it looks this junction is one to be wary of in future.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
For the record (and I know this is pointless with you), swerving in front of a manoeuvring car is a VERY BAD THING. It's the difference between unpleasant but limited contact and being launched over the bonnet or under the wheels. Very poor 'advice' hippo.
I agree that swerving in front of a moving car can be dangerous but how fast was the car going? Not much more than walking speed if that and the OP had plenty of room and time to move left and avoid the incident.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Looks like OP had stopped and driver turned again....into him !
If the OP had stopped, isn't the centre of a cycle lane a strange place to stop?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Oh mr_hippo, you've made me laugh.

Collision, what collision? Maybe it's when I was struck by the car? Take your pick of arm, leg or the impact on the rear wheel. Sorry if contact wasn't sufficient enough for you, I'll make sure next time I'm confronted with the unpredictable I generate a bit more gore, maybe a bit more snap with the odd fracture or three? Shouldn't be a problem to arrange. Buffoon.
What part of your arm came in contact with the car? Look at the video and your arm was nowhere near the car, it may have been over the bonnet but that was about it.
You don't have to sign your posts but it is conventional to put it on a separate line and not the last woed in the text. BTW is Buffoon your first name or family name?

The only time that I video my rides now is when I go on new route or when an old route has been altered. For months, they have been building a new bridge on Sukhapibhan 5 by the new Carrefour. When they first started building the bridge I thought that it would take the motorway over the local road but it takes the local road over the traffic.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j3FKYhThG4

The binman overtakes me. Now what would you call that? Close overtake? Deliberate swerve? Attempted murder? Should I report it to the Sanitation Department and/or the Police? I think by the time I crested that bridge I had forgot about it and it was only when I was editing the file I saw it.
I will leave commenting on future threads to the cycling chavs who normally post their incidents.

OP
OP
benborp

benborp

Guru
Are you seriously saying that from a position six thousand miles away from the event, through the medium of internet video you have a clearer understanding of the whereabouts of my arm? This arm that I can see, feel and indeed am attached to?

Please carry on mr_hippo. Your judgement is breathtaking!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are you seriously saying that from a position six thousand miles away from the event, through the medium of internet video you have a clearer understanding of the whereabouts of my arm? This arm that I can see, feel and indeed am attached to?

Please carry on mr_hippo. Your judgement is breathtaking!

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Shall we get some popcorn in?

Lizban

This pains me a little,

I sorta agree with Mr Hippo (there said it out loud)

Point 1. Driver in the wrong 100%

This is how I see it
Driver goes to turn right sees cyclist so aborts the turn,
He then moves forward some more and then anticapting the cyclist is going to carry on straight rather than stop turns again and gets caught out by the cyclist stopping.

Whose fault driver 100%
Could the cyclist have taken some action to reduce the chance of teh incident - yes by putting more distance between him and the motorist by moving to the left

Top Bottom