My temporary upgrade starts here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
For the last year I've been hankering for a new bike but for one reason or another it hasn't happened, leaving me with my peugeot optimum Reynolds 531 to chase the fast lads. On Sunday night I made the decision to start the process of subtly upgrading it to sti shifters, but in a way I can convert her back to standard when the endurance bike becomes a reality.

On Sunday I had won a complete new set of claris 2x8 shifters fitted to drop bars (31.8), new bar tape and cables still fitted. They had just been taken off a brand new Boardman.

Tonight I done a little measuring and have been onto to wiggle and ordered the downtube cable stops, quill adaptor and slightly longer stem. Just in case the inner cables are cut I've also ordered a complete set of gear and brake cables and ends.

I'm sure I've now ordered everything and I know I need to alter the sti to suit the 7 speed as details by sheldon brown but can anyone confirm I've remembered everything, and if I will be able to swap her back to original form

I'll post image of the pre and post op bike

Thanks, kev

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
As long as you don't cut anything you should be fine.

I'm sure 7 and 8 speed cassettes should fit the same hub spacing, so maybe you can get a new 8-speed cassette (I guess that might mean a new rear wheel) instead of messing around with the pull length of the shifters...

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I was thinking of a new set of shimano r501's but I'd need to see if it would fit as they are 8-10speed compatible. That's not feasible just yet but it would mean I have a decent set of winter wheels for the next bike when it eventually happens

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Do Wiggle do rider upgrades too?

Might be worth ordering one of them too. Then you'll really be able to show them fast boys.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my lbs just fitted a pr of 2 x 8 claris sti's to one of my machines but the freehub was only long enough for 7 speeds all works fine and smooth

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
7 and 8 speed spacing is close enough that 8 speed shifters will work 7 speed cassettes. 8 speed cassettes, however, won't fit on a 7 speed hub.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Thanks for the advice guys. My wiggle order arrive today and like a kid at xmas I was straight in there. It was obvious as soon as I opened the deda box that I forgot the 1-1.1/8 shim to join the stem adaptor and new stem.

Luckily the lbs have one in at a grand some of £3.

Just got to wait for the bars and shifters now :smile:

Top Bottom