My thoughts and attitude towards winter cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I was out on Wednesday for 4 hours with soggy feet, the shoes are dry again so I'll be out later today, it's the only time of year that you get to dress like a ninja!

Slick

Guru
I often question my sanity when commuting to work in quite adverse weather conditions whether blizzards, hurricanes, and most recently, floods. I could easily catch 'Jock the bus'.
My answer is challenging myself. Yes it's unpleasant but in the same moment exhilarating.
Yir a lang time deed and if I go while cycling, I'll die happy.
Pretty much the same for me. I now have a very comfortable office job with no physical challenge whatsoever, so my commute adds just enough to keep life interesting. Winter does add a certain edge, and there are times when I succumb to more traditional ways to get to work but I do secretly enjoy a really heavy downpour to concentrate the mind and start the day with a bang.

MarkF

Guru
I've now stopped and barring an unusually mild weekend then I probably won't ride here again till spring. I cycle for pleasure whether it's for my commute or weekend rides but I don't like being cold and wet at all, so I stop riding. My bikes get moved from the garage into the cellar and over winter I'll clean and fettle them.

Currently looking for a cheap February flight, like every year, 2 weeks riding around Alicante fires my enthusiasm right back up.:okay:

Alan O

Über Member
Things can, and do, equally get caught in the front wheel, or between wheel and forks, and cause mayhem. He oughtta stop selling bikes.
Exactly. There's a near infinite number of one-off calamities that could happen which can be fatal, and as a species we're very good at focusing on the worst events even if they have very low statistical significance. How about a startled bird flying into your front wheel and having you off? I missed that by inches earlier this year when one flew between my front wheel and chainset, and between my rotating feet, without hitting anything. It hasn't stopped me cycling near shrubbery.

But on to the OP's main points, I simply would not buy a bike that I would not be happy to ride all year. In fact, when I came back to cycling a couple of years ago after a 20-year gap, I came across the "winter bike" concept for the first time, and it sounded like yet more marketing nonsense to me.

I ride my best bikes all year round, though all bar one are made of steel - which, in my view, is still the best material there is for most cyclists (and I'd rate an 80's steel Peugeot as wonderful). I get in from a ride, and if the bike is wet and muddy I hose it down, clean the chain with a rag, and relube - and my bikes just keep on going.

Regarding the psychology, I think the "I must ride" feeling can be self-destructive. Sure, have targets, targets are great. But they're a means to an end and not an end in themselves. For me the decision to go for a ride is basically... Do I feel like going out? (I will never force myself). Is it raining? (I don't like riding in the wet, and there's nothing brave about doing it when you don't like it). Is there something else I should be doing? (Ideally the answer is yes, I enjoy a ride more when I'm avoiding chores).

And that's about it really.

Oh, as for cold, I have gloves, shoes, and clothes that keep me warm enough even in the coldest conditions.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
I dont go out much in the winter, either on my bikes or mc's.
But i do love riding in those crisp, clear cold days we have in the winter when the roads are dry. I prefer riding in these days over really hot days in the summer.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I keep commuting all through the winter, but the pleasure I get from it is more "having cycled" afterwards, rather than actually enjoying the ride.

I've had a couple of offs on ice, so am extremely wary when frosty, but have invested in some ice spike tyres for the mtb so will be going in absolutely all weathers this winter.

The mudguards thing: I commuted one winter sans guards. Never, ever again. They make a huge difference to how cold and wet you get, as well as how much crud gets on the drive train.

I do very little riding purely for pleasure in the winter.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The one thing I insist on not having, is mudguards. They are an absolute liability. If you hit something sizeable, they will put you over the bars at worst, wreck a tyre at best.

I've seen some stupid posts in my time and indeed have made a few myself, but that one is sheer entertainment in a Laurel&Hardy way.

I've seen some stupid posts in my time and indeed have made a few myself.

Yes you have. This one included.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Take a look, carefully.
Of course you are such a hero, you are better than everyone.
'He' knows what he is doing , YOU HAVE fark all CLUE
Merckx-Winter-Training.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Milzy

Guru
Hi again.
Every autumn I try to get my mindset in the right place for the onset of winter riding. It starts off really well, and for the first few weeks of the dark cold wet nights, my enthusiasm for cycling helps me through. After that though , I tend to struggle along ,and my weekly miles suffer.
I've got three bikes. Ones a rather nice Specialized road bike which I'm reluctant to use in the winter. It cost a few ££s and I want to keep it the best I can by only using when the weather is only half decent. The other is my Boardman mountain bike. It's not in the best of health. It creaks just like my knees and no matter what I've done to it ,I just can't get it to run silently or get the gears to work perfectly.
The last bike is my favourite out of the 3. It's my old 80s steel framed Peugeot. It's heavy, old fashioned and has old school gears, but to me it looks amazing in its immaculate red paint finish and it's amazing ride qualities.
I'm a bit reluctant to use this too in the winter as I'm trying to keep it well preserved. So I'm left in this quandary of not having a bike that I'm fully happy with to use during the winter.
After 2 weeks of not going out cycling though ,I thought enough is enough. I'm starting to get really miserable not enjoying getting out there ,and have decided to use my Peugeot as my winter bike. I've choosen the Peugeot because it's simple to maintain and that it's got frame eyelets for proper full mudgards to fit. Yesterday I invested in some rather nice quality "flinger" full mudguards to protect me and the bike from all that the roads can throw at me. Fitting was really easy apart from cutting down the stainless steel stays. I went through 10 hacksaw blades trying to cut them down !! Once fitted though, they really do feel top quality and have proved to be quite effective on today's muddy ride. After having 2 weeks off from cycling because of the rubbish weather ,it's made me realize how much I've missed my cycling. It's made me think that just because the weather's rubbish at the moment, you shouldn't just moth ball cycling for it, because you want to keep your bikes looking there best. I've realized the bikes are there to be used ,and to be enjoyed ,and not to wrapped them up in cotton wool whenever the road conditions turn for the worst. If I was cycling for commuting to work ect I think I would feel different ,because cycling has more of a purpose (a means to an end) but cycling for pleasure often gives the cyclist more excuses not to go out for that ride at night after work, because they don't have to if they don't want to. It's very easy easy to fall into this trap this time of year with the weather as it is , so hopefully with my mindset rebooted I will continue to cycle regularly now throughout the winter months and keep my fitness levels up.
All the very best ,
Johnny
You should either sign up for the Rapha festive 500 challenge or buy a smart trainer. Third option do both.

Top Bottom