My thoughts and attitude towards winter cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As the folks in Edmonton Canada like to say, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices. Actually, there are bad tire choices too. As a person who always disliked and even feared cold weather, there is something very satisfying about finding a way to be outside when it is really cold, perhaps windy, and being warm and comfortable. Roads dry, ride my Brompton. Roads icy, ride my Surly Steamroller with studded tires. Too snowy for that, take a mountain bike with 2 inch tires and a lot more studs. If the roads aren't passable with that sometimes good riding can be had one bike paths and singletrack. Because cold air is denser and because the extra clothing is an aero drag a shorter winter ride will keep you as fit as a longer summer ride. Sometimes it seems, though, that putting on and off all the stuff to wear takes as long as a ride.

Aye but the good folks of Edmonton can go indoor surfing at the Mall during the cold weather!!

Thanks for this thread folk, and the general message to get out there.

Persuaded me to make a trip into town today that I could have put off. Chucking it down for most of the day but all was fine. The Altura Varium jacket (a one time a "found a bargain" on here almost makes it a pleasure to ride in the rain. Goes wonderfully with an Aldi merino base later.

Several hundred / thousand miles, you?
well I'll look for the bloke with the stripe up his back - out today in the pouring rain and road muck - guards - the place I was going to wouldn't have appreciated muck on their chairs -may have been court martialled - arrived back home feeling great. And clean.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't like cycling in bad weather, but the season has nothing to do with it. We get horrible wet days in July, and we occasionally get pleasant dry days in December/January.
I don't cycle for fitness, or to get to work, or to save the planet, so I'm fortunate that I can pick and choose when I cycle. I simply do it because I enjoy it - when it's not raining or too windy!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Some of us use the bike as you would use your car, for transport :whistle:
Granted, we could use public transport in winter.
Not much public transport running gone midnight, and on the quieter roads round these parts. Or before 06:00, on a weekday. Weekends everyone starts later and finishes earlier. Going by the timetables.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not much public transport running gone midnight, and on the quieter roads round these parts. Or before 06:00, on a weekday. Weekends everyone starts later and finishes earlier. Going by the timetables.
Same here, that's why I cycle to work ^_^

Top Bottom