My University Bike Lock Design - Youtube Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fefelarue

Hey folks, I've recently finished my final year BSc Product Design university project, designing a bike lock, and have put it together in a little video.

Any feedback good or bad would be great.

Thanks!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks impressive stuff.
Can you show how the lock attaches to the chain as that is where the weak link would be. Could you not get cutters on the link of the lock?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I like the design, the fact it fits across the tube and the clever bit is all the tangling material surounding the chain.
But I think you need to get some independent testing to back up your claims.
As Ian says, the lock may be the weakest link!
But well done on a good design, that appear to be well thought through. No lock is ever 100% tamper proof, but yours looks better than most.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fefelarue

Yeah I totally agree that the padlock is the weak part. But at the moment this is only a university project - I haven't even handed it in for marking yet! And this is the first ever prototype. Further development would definitely see the padlock combine with the rest of the lock..

Thanks for the comments!

Ern1e

Über Member
Very impressive and very well thought out ! liked the ability to put it across the top tube but must agree the pad lock will be the weak link,but has you say further development should solve that.So well done on that and I would buy one.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Looks impressive. Is that essentially a lifting sling with a chain stuffed up it?
Having tried to cut a sling (an old one, to prevent re-use) I can testify that they're full of fibrous crap that tangles up any cutting tool!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm not a fan of the testing method, it proves nothing at all. The chain is not under tension and can move around. It is not representative of the real world situation of a locked bike.

If your confident that the lock/chain solution can withstand the bold claims made might I suggest locking a bike with it and inviting people to pay £1 to have a go for 15 minutes... If they free the bike they get to keep it.
You give the money to charity, look good and get real world bragging rights regarding how many people failed.............. Or you might just walk home if someone nicks your bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pair of scissors to remove the cover or go in near the lock with some small bolt cutters. The fabric hinders rotorary cutters, but attacking the chain near the lock or cutting the fabric would have it defeated pretty quickly. Thats an easily cuttable chain.

It's a good idea, but probably not secure enough for my purposes.

KneesUp

Guru
Pair of scissors to remove the cover or go in near the lock with some small bolt cutters. The fabric hinders rotorary cutters, but attacking the chain near the lock or cutting the fabric would have it defeated pretty quickly. Thats an easily cuttable chain.

It's a good idea, but probably not secure enough for my purposes.

I'd love to see a video of you trying to cut that fabric with scissors :smile:

Agree about the lock area, but it's a promising start, and attaching to the cross bar is a great idea.

OP
OP
F

fefelarue

Thanks for your comments everyone. Let's see what a bit more development holds :smile: And whether Kickstarter proves fruitful or not..

Any more thoughts/opinions, keep em coming!

sidevalve

Über Member
A good idea but I fear the tests and most of the things it is designed to resist are irrelevant. Dremmel, hack saw, power drill and angle grinder are not really in the theives usual arsenal. They want speed and silence - they use croppers. The size is relative to the likelyhood of being spotted. As a suggestion try a FAT cable [bolt croppers only have narrow jaws] and some sort of integral lock.

Top Bottom