My University Bike Lock Design - Youtube Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it fire proof, lighter fluid would soon burn off the outer material and then chain is just a chain.

Carrying system looks a neat idea but possibly not suitable for some bikes with external cable routing.

OP
OP
F

fefelarue

Nope it's not fire proof, but it would just make a molten plasticy mess, heat up the chain, burn the bike, and make clouds of smoke.

You'd be less conspicuous digging up the friggin bike rack with a pneumatic drill or something. No-one's gonna burn the casing off this lock, rather than just go cut through the lock on the bike next to it.

The official advice is always to take two different types of locks, so thief needs to bring two different tools to get your bike. This idea (if it actually works) give you that: you'd need one tool to remove the cover and another to cut the lock. So in theory, it's brilliant.

In practice ... I'm not an expert. But the weak link seems to be the padlock: that requires only one tool to cut.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Last edited:
Is the lock and chain relevant at this stage?

Most companies sell a range of locks with different security ratings.

Abus for instance do everything from 7 mm to 14 mm

They also sell their chains without padlocks

My suggestion with this design would be to get the system assessed and then market accordingly. If a form of ""Sold Secure" or similar certification could be a real advantage.

A lighter chain with padlock A could fit in the lower end of the market, and a heavier chain with heavier padlock would be mid range.

So long as the chain and lock offer the same level of security it is then up to the design to sell the product

Ganymede

Veteran
Nope it's not fire proof, but it would just make a molten plasticy mess, heat up the chain, burn the bike, and make clouds of smoke.

You'd be less conspicuous digging up the friggin bike rack with a pneumatic drill or something. No-one's gonna burn the casing off this lock, rather than just go cut through the lock on the bike next to it.
Wouldn't it be brilliant to put some firecrackers in the stuffing, just in case anyone tried...

MarkF

Guru
Well done, I like the idea of carrying it, that's the major attraction to me. I am not that fussed about how super strength it is, I just use a lock to move the thief onto an easier target

Dan87

Formerly fixieplugrider
I like this idea. it looks very thought through and a unique design.
the lock being the weakest point here, perhaps the fitting into the lock part being similar to the bar of a D-lock. ensuring it go with the awesome design of it fitting around the top tube of course.
all in all well done, i'd consider buy one if it hits the shops.

Strider

what sort of treatment has the chain itself had? Looks like it would be easy to cut the outer lengthways with a knife, separate the wadding to expose the chain and attack it with freeze spray and chisel or just get the bolt cutters straight onto the chain

Top Bottom