My very first 'Which bike' thread: De Rosa Idol DA or Cervelo R3 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Now before anybody replies with 'ride them and get the one you prefer', I will just point out that ideally I'm looking for useful feedback from people who might have direct experience, also welcome would be any suggestions of other bikes which I should take a look at.

I would love to be in a position to buy exactly the bike I wanted, from a local bike shop, and be able to road test each of them, but the bikes I'm looking at are at half their normal retail price, and a test ride will not be possible.

So, having got that out of the way, there's the De Rosa Idol Caliper Dura Ace on Wiggle, at £2,249, and an additional 10% off with 'Gold' discount. This is clearly tempting.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-idol-caliper-road-bike-dura-ace-2017/

And I just noticed on another thread, the Cervelo R3 Disc Ultegra, at £2,350.
http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes-fr...tegra-disc-dark-grey-black-2017.html?___SID=U

I'm a fairly competent rider, work hard to keep up with my 15 year old son (who averages 21+ mpg on flattish training ride). I did one Cat 4 race this year, and would like to do more, so I guess the 'safer' option in that case is the De Rosa caliper - unless I gamble on the UCI approving them next year.

I'm looking for a balance between reasonable comfort, and speed.

vickster

Legendary Member

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Now before anybody replies with 'ride them and get the one you prefer', I will just point out that ideally I'm looking for useful feedback from people who might have direct experience, also welcome would be any suggestions of other bikes which I should take a look at.

I would love to be in a position to buy exactly the bike I wanted, from a local bike shop, and be able to road test each of them, but the bikes I'm looking at are at half their normal retail price, and a test ride will not be possible.

So, having got that out of the way, there's the De Rosa Idol Caliper Dura Ace on Wiggle, at £2,249, and an additional 10% off with 'Gold' discount. This is clearly tempting.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-idol-caliper-road-bike-dura-ace-2017/

And I just noticed on another thread, the Cervelo R3 Disc Ultegra, at £2,350.
http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes-fr...tegra-disc-dark-grey-black-2017.html?___SID=U

I'm a fairly competent rider, work hard to keep up with my 15 year old son (who averages 21+ mpg on flattish training ride). I did one Cat 4 race this year, and would like to do more, so I guess the 'safer' option in that case is the De Rosa caliper - unless I gamble on the UCI approving them next year.

I'm looking for a balance between reasonable comfort, and speed.
Trouble is its all so subjective! What bike do you have now?

Only asking as all bikes in that price range will have compromises in terms of wheels, groupsets and it might be better to buy a nice frame and transfer what you have or get some deals on new or used groupsets and wheels.

AndyRM

XOXO
Those are both very nice bikes.

Personally, I would go for the De Rosa, purely because you're getting better components, and I like the look of it more.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Trouble is its all so subjective! What bike do you have now?

Only asking as all bikes in that price range will have compromises in terms of wheels, groupsets and it might be better to buy a nice frame and transfer what you have or get some deals on new or used groupsets and wheels.

BMC SLR01, but six years old, the components wouldn't be worth transferring now, plus I'm keen to go to 11 speed from 10. Interestingly, I think the frame only is around £1,800 for the De Rosa, which makes it seem even more of a steal!

Andrew_P

BMC SLR01, but six years old, the components wouldn't be worth transferring now, plus I'm keen to go to 11 speed from 10. Interestingly, I think the frame only is around £1,800 for the De Rosa, which makes it seem even more of a steal!
Must admit I only looked after I posted looks pretty good value I have to say. Not many reviews on it and not many stores selling the brand other than Wiggle? Looks like I-Ride are the independents distributor

Sharky

Guru
If these are going to be a "one bike does all", check out the gearing. One has a 36x25 and the other a 36x28 as their lowest gears. Easy to change, but this forum is swamped by riders asking how to get a lower gear for the hills.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
If these are going to be a "one bike does all", check out the gearing. One has a 36x25 and the other a 36x28 as their lowest gears. Easy to change, but this forum is swamped by riders asking how to get a lower gear for the hills.

Good point, I just went through this myself when preparing for my alps trip, but I'm pretty sure the new Dura Ace takes up to 30t, and I'm sure Ultegra no problem.

Andrew_P

Good finds, I do quite fancy the Supersix, and great prices!
I have a 2015 Supersix Red, lovely bike. I mainly got it for the colour scheme and it had a straight top bar!! Hat slopey frames.

Focus Izalco Max Disc 2016 got rave reviews and I saw Wheelbase had one, I had to look away. The 2016 SRAM Red one weighed in at 6.7kg and could go under 6.3kg with Carbon bars etc which is quite incredible for a Hydro Disc.

The Cannondales 2017 are a bit weighty I think that Ultegra Disc was 8.5kg thats the same as my Winter bike. You have ot get to the Hi-Mods to get a lighter weight. Even my Red with Pedals etc is 7.25kg With decent wheels

I couldn't make out with the Idol if the frame comes in different specs, they have names after them but wasn't sure if it was colour related or material. (Like Cannondale have Hi-Mod)

Top Bottom