My wife say's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have just been looking on the bay again and I saw this part of a item description for a Brommy that's currently for sale.

"Brompton original box

And paperwork.

I have had all brompton types

And six gears is the only way forward

Forget dynomos and racks,

it's just more weight to carry

Up the escalator and stairs!

And the

the lights faid up hill!

And the straight bar models are unstable!

And less comfortable
."

Wha'dya fink?

CGSM.

(C) Yes Minister

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I share your desire CarlP, I bought a cheap substitute, but its just not the same ....

IMG_0306.JPG

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That I have a Brompton shaped hole in my life. Every time I see one I keep telling her I need/want/must have one. I think they are really cool, useful, practicle amd fun. I have ridden one and I still want one. She doesn't see the point of them, bless her.

The thing is I don't need one, there, I said it, I can't think of single time I would use it, I suppose I could keep it in the car " just in case" .

I'm guessing that most Brompton owners have one for mainly practical reasons, storage, commuting, not just for a lark.

I think I need help.

THREAD REVIVAL ALERT.

New bike day. The Brompton shaped hole in my life will be filled today and The Fragrant MrsP is getting one too!

Collecting them today at 11. I’m very much looking forward to it!

Tenkaykev

Guru
THREAD REVIVAL ALERT.

New bike day. The Brompton shaped hole in my life will be filled today and The Fragrant MrsP is getting one too!

Collecting them today at 11. I’m very much looking forward to it!

When we got our ( 2nd hand ) Brommies Mrs Tenkaykev was unsure. She has a Roberts touring bike with Rohlof hub. Now her Roberts is her shopping bike and she loves her Brommie 😎

a.twiddler

Veteran
Strangely enough, the tale of how I ended up buying a Brompton started off with Mrs T saying, "Suppose we got a pair of folding bikes so we could put them in the car and go cycling away from the traffic". Not obviously aware of the irony that biking by car is adding to the traffic that she doesn't like cycling near. Still, it's a form of cycling so I diligently scanned the ads for someting suitable, in her case a bike with a low step over. We found something suitable and for a few months it worked well. A pair of Vikings, in her case a Metropolis, in my case, a Safari. They were both at the cheaper end of the market (ie not Bromptons). We cycled various trails, notably the Monsal trail but after a while her interest waned.

I found my folder useful for more things than just er, folding. I used it to get to work, occasional trips on sunny days and for taking the car to the garage and cycling back, then collecting it again. Actually, with its upright riding position, compared to my drop handlebar bike it felt great, with good visibility and the ability to detect what was coming behind. I splurged on a used Dahon, thinking that a more expensive bike would be even better, but I just didn't take to it. Better folding perhaps, but the ride was better on the old faithful, so I sold the Dahon.

It took a few years to pluck up the nerve to spend what seemed like a lot on a used Brompton, wondering if it would ride as well as my existing bike. In fact, the Viking just had the edge on ride quality, but this was far outweighed by the easy folding of the Brompton. I've had the Brompton for nine months now, and it's been the bike I have ridden when I needed a small wheeled bike, and the Viking has remained unused. So the time has come to move it on. A shameless plug for it appearing on the CC For sale section, and ebay.

Meanwhile the Brompton has had its gearing lowered, and I have plans for a future double chainwheel setup. It's just so versatile and modifiable.

The sad thing is that Mrs T's folder sits in the garage gathering dust. I pump up the tyres occasionally and brush off the cobwebs and wonder if there will be a future rekindling of enthusiasm on her part.

Top Bottom