My wifes gunna kill me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Oh dear........
Just bought this-

1930s new hudson. £30

So what's wrong with that? You bought a quality vintage bicycle at a bargain price, exercising good judgement and thrift.
If she doesn't appreciate your prudence, casually ask her how much her last new dress/pair of shoes cost.....:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Just look at the front mudguard bodg... errr I mean performance upgrade! Whoever rode that bike really really didn't like getting soaked in road spray. Or is it actually a cleverly disguised device to scrub off excess speed on those fast weekend ride descents and save on brake block wear? ;) After all, 27" x 1 1/4" is actually quite a "sporty" size rim to find on that sort of bike! I'd have expected it to be on 26" wheels if built as a cable-braked roadster, or 28" if on rods, but you say there is no frame evidence for those. Maybe it actually started life on drops as a 27" wheel "clubman's" type machine and was later converted to flats? You can have a few hours fun trawling all those old VCC online catalogues to try and work out what you've actually got there.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Ive looked on the vmcc website theres a new hudson catalogue for 1936 and sone of the sportier machines look very much like this old girl. Appart from the handlebars ( they all have 'lauterwasser bars).

Last edited:
OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Just look at the front mudguard bodg... errr I mean performance upgrade! Whoever rode that bike really really didn't like getting soaked in road spray. Or is it actually a cleverly disguised device to scrub off excess speed on those fast weekend ride descents and save on brake block wear? ;) After all, 27" x 1 1/4" is actually quite a "sporty" size rim to find on that sort of bike! I'd have expected it to be on 26" wheels if built as a cable-braked roadster, or 28" if on rods, but you say there is no frame evidence for those. Maybe it actually started life on drops as a 27" wheel "clubman's" type machine and was later converted to flats? You can have a few hours fun trawling all those old VCC online catalogues to try and work out what you've actually got there.

That mudguard thingy is a huge piece of car innertube! Its coming off.
Already took the homemade saddlebox off. It weighed a ridiculous amount. Ive done a few mile on it now and it rides really well appart from my knees hit the handlebars when im turning. Going to have to hit the spares heap.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
So what's wrong with that? You bought a quality vintage bicycle at a bargain price, exercising good judgement and thrift.
If she doesn't appreciate your prudence, casually ask her how much her last new dress/pair of shoes cost.....:laugh:

Ive now bought 3 vintage pushies in the last couple of months. Plus the...... .ahem ,others ive got, its starting to look a bit obsessive

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ive looked on the vmcc website theres a new hudson catalogue for 1936 and sone of the sportier machines look very much like this old girl. Appart from the handlebars ( they all have 'lauterwasser bars).

Do you think it's actually that old? The thing that doesn't look really ancient is the fork rake, which is quite modest and doesn't have that pronounced vintage curvature often found at the lower end of the forks. The geometry, whilst fairly slack by modern standards, isn't super slack, and the rear stays are brazed in not bolted to the back of the sleat lug. You might get a dating off the SA hub gear, and another clue as to it's provenance might be the model. A more "sporty" vintage bike I'd expect to have a closer ratio hub such as an AM, rather than a wide-ratio AW. Or something completely different.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That mudguard thingy is a huge piece of car innertube! Its coming off.
Already took the homemade saddlebox off. It weighed a ridiculous amount. Ive done a few mile on it now and it rides really well appart from my knees hit the handlebars when im turning. Going to have to hit the spares heap.

My 1950 Raleigh Sports has had Bibia mudflaps fitted, which seem to work well. Also, could you just fit a longer stem with the bars? It seems you've no stem on it. Oh, and I'd suggest late 1940's/early 1950's rather than 1930's.

41KZwXqy26L.jpg

Top Bottom