Mystery bike part

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mystery bike bit.JPG

Can someone assist in identifying this item? It came with the Xtracycle kit ten years ago and I've used it ever since. its purpose is supposedly to get the cable to turn 90° into the gear mech but it seems to be jamming. I'm trying to find a part to replace it but I'm struggling.

What is this called?
I'm wondering if it causes more harm than good. How necessary is it?
Could I just add a bit of cable and run it directly into the mech?

Before someone points it out I know the cable in't properly clamped: it was an emergency repair with a normal length cable: tandem cables are on order.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is it to enable that barrel adjuster to work?

That seems a pretty standard rear mech and in working on hundreds of bikes I have never come across that particular item on a rear mech.

Edit: it does look Iike brake travel agent as mentioned by other posters, but have never heard of those on a gear cable.

I can only go along with your idea that it is to somehow avoid too sharp turns in the cable.

If you have any operational issues with it then just remove it and attach the cable outer straight to the mech. It may be worth looking at fitting a new rear outer, possibly an inch or two longer than the existing one.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Does the Xtracycle fold? If not, could you run the cable along the top stay to avoid such a tight bend?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It shouldn't be necessary, but you'll likely need a longer outer if you don't use it, so the outer can curve round enough to meet the adjuster in line.

The idea of a rollamajig (or similar) is that it's lower friction than using the longer cable outer to get the required bend.
In some cases there may also be an advantage in that if you use a longer cable outer, the lower end could sometimes be upwards facing, leading to water entry, rust, and higher friction.

Travel Agents (or Shiftmates) use a double pulley diameter to change the cable movement, and allow mismatched shifters and derailleurs to be used together.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I would just get rid of it and run the outer cable right up to the barrel adjuster as normal.
Looks like you have enough length of outer to allow this without making too tight a bend.
Might be worth replacing the rear length of outer with a new one altogether though.

It is a 1990s invention that now looks as stupid as it is. Remove it and never, ever admit in good company that you even know what it is. Nevermind having owned one. (But keep it in a drawer somewhere, in two years time it will be re-invented and worth a fortune in retro-form).

Top Bottom