Mystery creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I wonder if anyone has advice about the possible source of a mystery creaking noise which appears to come from the area of the pedals/cranks.

It only happens when I pedal, freewheeling is pretty much silent. However when I put the bike on a stand and turn the pedals there is no noise. Any idea?

Jody

Stubborn git
Probably bottom bracket or pedals but more likely to be the BB.

Do you have any spare pedals to rule them out? Are the bolts tight that hold the left hand crank arm onto the spindle?

Reactions: Dwn

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It could be literally anything. I spent ages chasing down a squeaky bottom bracket, turned out to be seatpost/saddle. Does it do it when you are out of the saddle?

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

It could be literally anything. I spent ages chasing down a squeaky bottom bracket, turned out to be seatpost/saddle. Does it do it when you are out of the saddle?
It does sound vaguely like the creak you associate with leather (I have a brooks saddle) but appears to be coming from well below that. Hadn't thought to check when pedalling out of the saddle but will try on tomorrow's state mandated trip.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Probably bottom bracket or pedals but more likely to be the BB.

Do you have any spare pedals to rule them out? Are the bolts tight that hold the left hand crank arm onto the spindle?
The bolts seem pretty tight; I have some old SPD's, so will have a try at those. Hoping it isn't the bottom bracket tbh

Jody

Stubborn git
The bolts seem pretty tight; I have some old SPD's, so will have a try at those. Hoping it isn't the bottom bracket tbh

Easy enough job depending on what type you have. I've been putting off doing mine until I strip the rear down to service the shock.

The other thing to do is try putting some torque through your pedals without clipping in. Could also be your cleats creaking.

gbb

Legendary Member
Take a few seconds and just visually check the welds for cracks around the BB, underneath as well. Highly unlikely to be the problem but it can happen.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had an annoying creak once. It turned out to be the cleat plates in the soles of my shoes. Nothing to do with the bike.

Nowadays, it's my knees that creak..

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I spent weeks looking for a creak. Taking the seat post out cleaning the post and inside the tube fixed it much to my surprise.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had a mystery creak/ cracking noise on the rat bike.
I check everything i could and greased/tightened whre needed nad it still made the noise, then i noticed the headset was farked so i got it fixed but not had chance to ride and check yet .

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Rather belatedly, just to say that the creaking has stopped! No obvious reason for this, but thanks again for all the advice.

Top Bottom