mystery part

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RacingGreen

After taking my bike apart recently I noticed a part on the floor that I did not see drop out. I have attached an image of it. I'll be reassembling the bike next week and would be most grateful if someone could help me to identify the part and tell me where it fits :smile: I think that it may have fallen out of the handlebar area - so possibly related to either a brake lever or the gear shift. The gear shift and rear brake lever are integrated (pic attached). I cannot see where it would fit in the gear shift mechanism or either of the brake levers so I'm stumped.

The bike is a Trek L200, about ten years old
The gear system is a Shimano SG-8R20

Attachments

• 20141124_204148.jpg
    20141124_204148.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 83
  • shimano nexus 8 gear shift.JPG
    shimano nexus 8 gear shift.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 72

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
It looks longer than I would expect but, could it be a cable end ferrule? If the cable outer fits into it then Bingo!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It looks solid tho, my initial thought was ferrule till I expanded the pic.

Couldn't just be a random offcut from fitting aftermarket mudguards that has got caught somewhere could it?

OP
OP
RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Thanks for the replies. Not had the hub apart or fitted after market mudguards either. There is the possibility that this little cylinder just happened to be on he floor and has nothing to do with the bike at all. But that could just be wishful thinking :smile:. I have seen an image on Sheldon Browns' site that makes me think it might have something to do with brakes.
600-sent-to-me-in-piecessm1.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im thinking pivot pin and a grub screw to keep it in place.
as per pic ,pin and small grub looking screw..?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Ooo shite! Do not ride the bike! Sell it immediately with the proviso that the furtle pin-lock spigot pin is missing. I'll take the bike off your hands as a favour if you want, but only if you state it's sold as seen.

I wouldn't worry about it. Theres always a few leftover bits when you put a bike back together. It's a conspiracy by the component manufacturers you see, they fit extra bits you don't need so at some point in the future they can make it without them, then claim it's the latest version and now much lighter to get you to rush out and buy it as an upgrade and charge a lot more for it.

Possibly.

Top Bottom