Mytholmroyd prepares for t' Tour ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well as someone who has just came to Yorkshire to live, it had been a pleasurable week end for me, Yorkshire
TDF day 2 099.JPG
has done England proud.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apart from Cav's sudden exit, it couldn't have gone better! 2 days of torrential rain might have spoiled things, but we got sunshine instead and so got splendid views of the scenery, and spectators turned out in their hundreds of thousands.

RedRider

Pulling through
Just got back down here after an amazing weekend. Rode up from London (over three days) stayed in Wetherby on Friday night, watched the peloton flash past near Otley, Jens in the breakaway and then rode over to Harrogate. Watched 2km from the finish and it was such a buzz as they opened the road and we were able to ride in ourselves past the cheering crowds. Despite the lack of helmets and our single speed bikes - mine with mudguards - I swear some of the crowd thought us competitors. I think a couple of Lampre riders came in behind us!
Rode on over to Jackson Bridge and then next day up Holme Moss where I was within an inch of Tommy Voeckler's tongue. Perhaps the biggest buzz was riding back around to Jackson Bridge via Woodhead Pass which was completely closed to motor traffic. Incredible few days. Will be watching the finish in London tomorrow afternoon. I feel so, so lucky.

I have a few pics of Cragg Vale, before, during and after. Just to say at the end of the day we took 29 mins to do the official Cragg Vale climb, on touring bikes with panniers and not pushing and with a headwind to boot.. By far though the funniest sight were the weekend trade team wearing warriors riding up Blackstone edge and being passed by a slightly built woman on a heavy bike with pannier. I may have a picture of that too.
Will post pics up tomorrow.

fimm

Veteran
Someone should do that Strava thing where you load all the traces for a given place and time onto one map. I can't remember what they call it. It should be pretty cool (and there will be at least one trace from the peloton...)

Ok, pics as promised,
Found a spot 3/4 of the way up Cragg Vale where we looked down a long straight section so could see the riders approaching,
Before the riders arrived
FD95F4D2-8EBB-460A-B5D2-CD1F2AD9EA88_zpstuhpkt5e.jpg

The police were having a whale of a time, laughing and waving as they went past on the motorbikes
F44D4B8B-9D34-4854-861F-B03A3B696802_zps6rbud5v2.jpg

Was it all a bit bonkers? I will let you be the judge, and I am not naming names :ph34r:
972B39B1-F10B-45A8-81B6-6F0F70259E8B_zpsmbfu3uxl.jpg

The breakaway
C11A1668-2EFD-45A5-9DBE-61A5AE6B5218_zpsgulgg3lh.jpg

Main peleton
AEE551E5-BEA2-4D9F-9E76-E41D7000EA15_zpssemovlwu.jpg

Camera helicopter
B7D97F8B-AC6A-49BF-8B07-787663999A33_zpsbncr2yka.jpg

Riding back down into Mytholmroyd / HB was crazy, on the brakes for over 4 miles but great atmosphere
BAFB24E5-3DA4-4F95-9166-3489F83CC9CC_zpsis5zhian.jpg

All over, after climbing back up Cragg Vale this is the view from t'other side, about to drop down Blackstone Edge.
A very good day.
I also went to Cambridge and did it all again yesterday :smile:.

400bhp

Guru
Quite simply one of the best weekends I have ever had.

Day 1-had the privilege of VIP tickets so milling around in the village and around the buses. Then cycled to Leeds from Harrogate to watch the end, albeit the centre was utterly packed so we watched from 3kms out.

Day 2 - up Oxenhope Moor, then cycled down into HB and watched the end on the big screen with family.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nice!

ITV went to an ad break after Haworth so the climb I suggested to you (Penistone Hill) wasn't shown. Eurosport did show it, however, and so much for people not knowing about the climb with it not being classified - it was absolutely heaving with spectators - a very impressive sight! :bravo:

Top Bottom