Myths and Rebuttals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This thread will serve as a place to post the myths that are often used in arguments against cyclists with relevant rebuttals. For example, cyclists don't pay road tax, cyclists are supposed to use cycle lanes where they exist etc, etc.Where possible rebuttals should be referenced to confirm the source of the information.

The aim of this thread is to allow all of this information to be collated and brought together in a document which cyclists could refer to in the future. This document will acknowledge any contributions made by forum members.

So, who's first? :smile:

Cab

Myth: "You should be in the cycle lane!"

Rebuttal: No, its your choice as to whether or not to use a cycle lane. If it is safer and convenient then do so, otherwise you're not obliged to use the cycle lane or any other facility.

There was a bit of a scare a while back when the highway code was updated, but the current text says:

"Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer."

In fact, many cycle lanes are poorly designed, ill maintained, badly thought out and, on occasion, completely un-navigable. It is entirely appropriate to choose not to use such facilities.

dondare

Über Member
A common myth is that cyclists who don't obey the Highway Code are breaking the law.
Rebuttal: "Now you're just being ignorant."

GrahamG

Guru
magnatom said:
This thread will serve as a place to post the myths that are often used in arguments against cyclists with relevant rebuttals. For example, cyclists don't pay road tax, cyclists are supposed to use cycle lanes where they exist etc, etc.

Right, I'm going for the 'same-level' rebuttal that is not confrontational and might appease the average Sun reader:

Cyclists don't pay road tax - "Don't worry mate - I still get fisted by Brown on everything else, believe me"

Cyclists should use cycle lanes - "You know the council can't do a f**king thing right - those lanes included"

Get out the middle of the road - "F**king council don't sweep the roads enough to be riding in the guttter - it's a disgrace I tell you"

Get out the middle of the road - "Could you smell my fart? I was trying to share it with you!"

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oh this is a weak one, but here goes:

Myth: my average speed is 23mph! I can easily keep up 20mph (caveat: this may not be applicable to everyone).

Rebuttal: "average" speed really depends on how you measure it (hey, going down a steep hill, my average speed is over 30mph!). Generally speaking, measuring average speed by looking down at your cyclocomputer when you are cycling for 30 seconds on the flat does not qualify, rather your speed calculated for your whole journey -preferably a complete loop back to where you start to offset a strongly downhill course -does.

spindrift

Myth: “I’m allowed to knock you off if you’re not in a cycle lane”
Rebuttal: Huge dent in vehicle belonging to driver that just tried to put that one into practice.

Myth: “You don’t pay any road tax so I’m not giving you any respect.”
Rebuttal: See above

Myth: If you purposely cut up a cyclist in London, just call them a w***er and drive off quickly – they’ll never catch you up.
Rebuttal: At next set of lights - See above

Cab

Myth: "You don't pay road tax so..."

Rebuttal: It doesn't matter what follows the above statemet. No, we don't pay road tax, but neither does a motorist. 'Road tax' has been 'VED' since 1936, and is completely unlinked to spending on road maintenance and road building. We have every bit as much right to be on the road as motorists, there is no taxation or payment argument.

Or, if you like, point out that we pay the same amount of road tax as any other bottom band vehicle with zero carbon emission; i.e. none.
But of course, if we were to pay zero tax but have to go through the rigmarole of having a free valid tax discs on display and all of the incomprehensibly expensive admin spent on this, estimated to be in the region of £50 per disc, then each and every tax paying motorist would see a rise in how much they would pay.

Cab

Carwash said:
Minor correction:

More, actually: cyclists - along with pedestrians, horse riders, etc - are allowed to use the roads by right. Motorists use them by license.

(Or am I perpetuating another misconception here?)

You're right, but I didn't want to start coming over 'holier than thou'. I'm not aiming to tell motorists to get off the road because we've got more right to be there than them, I'm aiming to state why the claim that we've got less right to be there is incorrect.

Carwash

Señor Member
No, you're not, but you're at risk of opening a huge can of worms.

One which I did not meant to open! I had no idea it was such a touchy subject, nor any intention of hijacking this thread with what I considered to be a mere statement of fact. Apologies.

Top Bottom