n+1 for a significant birthday: advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It was @Paul_Smith SRCC (I believe it's the same chap) who sold me my Van Nick when he was at Corridori in Epsom. I went in completely on spec on a Saturday morning (having cocked up the date of a ride) and he spent a couple of hours going through the options and lending me a customer's bike ("I know he won't mind - but be warned, once you've tried it you'll want to buy it") for a test ride.

I love hearing Ian's story!

My own visit to Enigma was on Paul's very first day working there! He is a top man and did my fitting then worked with Mark Reilly to design the frame. Max cut the tubing, Joe did the welding, Jaco did the finish, Greg built up the bike, and voila! Superb team they've got down there. Perfectionists, every one of them but kind, patient and attentive to everyone who comes through their door.

Attachments

• Banner - Enigma in Stockwood 1.jpg
    Banner - Enigma in Stockwood 1.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
rvw

rvw

Guru
I think I have your e-mail address @rvw & @srw - so I'll e-mail this article to you.
Thanks - received safely and very interesting. All the firms mentioned sound great! Geographically, Enigma will be simplest for a visit so we'll try to get in touch with Paul in advance. I will report back.

(My own recollections of Wymondham cafe are (a) rubbish organisation and (b) @srw carefully putting a plastic bag over the saddle of @GrumpyGregry 's bike instead of his own, and (c) @CharlieB falling asleep face-first into his cup of tea...)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks - received safely and very interesting. All the firms mentioned sound great! Geographically, Enigma will be simplest for a visit so we'll try to get in touch with Paul in advance. I will report back.

(My own recollections of Wymondham cafe are (a) rubbish organisation and (b) @srw carefully putting a plastic bag over the saddle of @GrumpyGregry 's bike instead of his own, and (c) @CharlieB falling asleep face-first into his cup of tea...)
One of my most cherished memories, still makes me smile when I think of it, along with y'man telling me to 'go away' (may not have been his exact words) on the ghastly grind out of Wick.

He is definitely what tlh calls 'a keeper' that fella. ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It was @Paul_Smith SRCC (I believe it's the same chap) who sold me my Van Nick when he was at Corridori in Epsom. I went in completely on spec on a Saturday morning (having cocked up the date of a ride) and he spent a couple of hours going through the options and lending me a customer's bike ("I know he won't mind - but be warned, once you've tried it you'll want to buy it") for a test ride.
the nicest soundest most helpful bloke I have ever met in a bike shop. He oversaw my bikefit at corridor.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@ianmac62 got any piccies? A disc braked flat top tube old school credit card tourer in ti from the biys in Eastbourne might be just the thing to memorialise the Aged P via the small legacy he left me.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another couple of names sprang to mind (OK, I went to the Cycling Revolution exhibition at the Design Museum and they had bikes on display)...
http://www.hartleycycles.com £1250 for a custom steel frame, £1900 for stainless, plus fork. Gravel bike Caren Hartley did for the exhibition was lovely.
Tom Donhou had his '100 mph' bike with the ginormous chainring there. Frameset pricing on the website is somewhat sketchy but seems to start at about £2k.
Shand had a Stoater there, excellent bit of kit. Mercian had a custom frame with Campagnolo Super Record EPS and matching kit, up to their usual standards, but I'll assume you don't want to wait a year for the bike!!

ianmac62

Guru
... My own recollections of Wymondham cafe are (a) rubbish organisation and (b) @srw carefully putting a plastic bag over the saddle of @GrumpyGregry 's bike instead of his own, and (c) @CharlieB falling asleep face-first into his cup of tea...) ...

When they aren't overwhelmed by cyclists, the teenage staff at the café can be moderately helpful. They get a small trickle of cyclists who are visiting the bike shop two or three doors down. And they have toilets. (TBH, Jack & Ally let me use their toilet at the bike shop.) Between the café and the bike shop is a craft shop and so I am often accompanied by Mrs ianmac62 when I get my bikes serviced. It was my nearest Bianchi dealer; there's now a nearer one in Wellingborough which is a larger shop and I know one or two of the mechanics there who sometimes ride with CTC Northampton; but I stick with the two young men who know me and my bikes. And they are still my nearest Enigma dealers!

@ianmac62 got any piccies? A disc braked flat top tube old school credit card tourer in ti from the biys in Eastbourne might be just the thing to memorialise the Aged P via the small legacy he left me.

Here's my Enigma - not particularly posed (and I speak as a man who spent an evening on a Photoshop course getting an image of his Bianchi *just* as I wanted it) - at the top of the Kemmelberg on last September's Not-The-Fridays-Tour to the Low Countries. Mirrored logos with brushed finish; Shimano 105 11-speed; Shimano hydraulic disc brakes; Mavic Aksium disc wheelset; Brooks Cambium C15 saddle in black; Lizard Skin bar tape; Gatorskin Hardshell tyres; Sigg bottle & cage; Tubus Disco rack (which comes off and goes on very easily). The forks, headset, stem, seatpost and mudguards were chosen for their colour!! I love it!

Just one more note at this point for @rvw - I knew that I wanted what are called "compact" handlebars and the shop had three pairs for me to choose from on "fitting day" (42cm, 44cm and 46 cm measured outside-to-outside) which was a week before I collected the bike.

IMG_0194.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
When they aren't overwhelmed by cyclists, the teenage staff at the café can be moderately helpful. They get a small trickle of cyclists who are visiting the bike shop two or three doors down. And they have toilets. (TBH, Jack & Ally let me use their toilet at the bike shop.) Between the café and the bike shop is a craft shop and so I am often accompanied by Mrs ianmac62 when I get my bikes serviced. It was my nearest Bianchi dealer; there's now a nearer one in Wellingborough which is a larger shop and I know one or two of the mechanics there who sometimes ride with CTC Northampton; but I stick with the two young men who know me and my bikes. And they are still my nearest Enigma dealers!

Here's my Enigma - not particularly posed (and I speak as a man who spent an evening on a Photoshop course getting an image of his Bianchi *just* as I wanted it) - at the top of the Kemmelberg on last September's Not-The-Fridays-Tour to the Low Countries. Mirrored logos with brushed finish; Shimano 105 11-speed; Shimano hydraulic disc brakes; Mavic Aksium disc wheelset; Brooks Cambium C15 saddle in black; Lizard Skin bar tape; Gatorskin Hardshell tyres; Sigg bottle & cage; Tubus Disco rack (which comes off and goes on very easily). The forks, headset, stem, seatpost and mudguards were chosen for their colour!! I love it!

Just one more note at this point for @rvw - I knew that I wanted what are called "compact" handlebars and the shop had three pairs for me to choose from on "fitting day" (42cm, 44cm and 46 cm measured outside-to-outside) which was a week before I collected the bike.

View attachment 122137
Pfwaah! Not jealous, for the nicest possible reason (the Litespeed).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

View attachment 122137
Exactly the geometry I like to ride, a fist full of seat post and no more please, like when I was a neophyte. I'd prefer a Fly, if it fits, and different wheels.

But that is bluddy gorgeous.

and can I also say - what a try Stuart Hogg.

Top Bottom