n+1 for a significant birthday: advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMG_20160330_114350011.jpg

Counting teeth
IMG_20160330_114505719.jpg

A design takes shape...
IMG_20160330_114755592.jpg

OP
OP
rvw

rvw

Guru
I've ordered an Etape, modified for my long legs and short reach - I had to take a good 2.5 inches out of the reach of the standard size. As usual, @srw was wonderful, and very sensibly suggested that I too the option of an Ultegra build. He and Paul are trying to persuade me to go clipless straight away, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Unaccountably I've gone for a painted frame - even though the raw titanium looks much more beautiful than yet another dark bike.

It's due to be ready in about midsummer, so I'll probably have it on display in the autumn for Viva Col(o)nia.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've ordered an Etape, modified for my long legs and short reach - I had to take a good 2.5 inches out of the reach of the standard size. As usual, @srw was wonderful, and very sensibly suggested that I too the option of an Ultegra build. He and Paul are trying to persuade me to go clipless straight away, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Unaccountably I've gone for a painted frame - even though the raw titanium looks much more beautiful than yet another dark bike.

It's due to be ready in about midsummer, so I'll probably have it on display in the autumn for Viva Col(o)nia.
Nice. Welcome to the 3AL 2.5V club! Calliper brake version rather than the disc? Build looks excellent, nothing that screams 'upgrade me' by any means. Part of me thinks painted titanium is heresy, but OTOH the pics I've seen of their painted frames here http://road.cc/content/review/157729-enigma-evade-ti show very, very nice work, so why not when it looks that good! Looking forward to seeing it.

OP
OP
rvw

rvw

Guru
Yes, calipers. My husband is very old-fashioned (and, may I say, always right in absolutely everything), as is Paul. So we discounted discs because decent calipers work just as well, and with decent wheels and no regular commuting stop-start the rim wear is relatively light. Yes, I know I'm completely and utterly wrong about the paint, but you know what, it's my decision.

@theclaud has pointed out that the Esprit frame is absolutely lovely, so I think @srw now deserves an Esprit with DI2 and a very very shiny mirror finish so that he can go faster than me again.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Yes, calipers. My husband is very old-fashioned (and, may I say, always right in absolutely everything), as is Paul. So we discounted discs because decent calipers work just as well, and with decent wheels and no regular commuting stop-start the rim wear is relatively light. Yes, I know I'm completely and utterly wrong about the paint, but you know what, it's my decision.

@theclaud has pointed out that the Esprit frame is absolutely lovely, so I think @srw now deserves an Esprit with DI2 and a very very shiny mirror finish so that he can go faster than me again.
Yes, the advantages of discs do apply less if you're not commuting and/or riding big miles on grotty lanes. And decent rims do last. I've had the Zonda wheels on the Viner for nearly six years, well over 10k miles (stopped keeping proper track), all weathers, and they'll last me a good while yet, though partly because the Litespeed is now in place as Other Best Bike. You're not wrong about the paint..
Enigma%20Evade%20-%20top%20tube.jpg

We reached our silver wedding anniversary and bought a pair of matching bells:

bike-bell.png

Then nipped down to St John Street Cycles and bought a Thorn Raven and Thorn Nomad Rohloff equipped bicycles to fit them on

OP
OP
rvw

rvw

Guru
I've ordered an Etape, modified for my long legs and short reach - I had to take a good 2.5 inches out of the reach of the standard size. As usual, @srw was wonderful [WHAT? WHAT?], and very sensibly suggested that I too the option of an Ultegra build. He and Paul are trying to persuade me to go clipless straight away, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Unaccountably [???] I've gone for a painted frame - even though the raw titanium looks much more beautiful than yet another dark bike.

Yes, calipers. My husband is very old-fashioned (and, may I say, always right in absolutely everything [NOOOO!!!]), as is Paul. So we discounted discs because decent calipers work just as well, and with decent wheels and no regular commuting stop-start the rim wear is relatively light. Yes, I know I'm completely and utterly wrong about the paint, but you know what, it's my decision.

In case it wasn't blatantly obvious, @srw took advantage of the computer having me still logged in. So yes, it's a custom Etape, and yet it is painted because I don't my bike to look the same as everyone else's. (I was tempted by the rainbow anodised logos but resisted). And it was Paul who suggested the Ultegra build, and I didn't need any persuading!

Old-fashioned - yes, definitely. Old fogey, even. Right in everything? That should have given the game away immediately!

srw

"I've been very rude" she says.

All I can say is - I'm glad her idea of rude isn't anywhere close to that of certain other regula(to)rs I could name....

theclaud

Openly Marxist

^_^^_^

It is lovely, mind!

Enigma_Esprit_side1_852a1641-bd60-445c-80de-0c24f5ede49b_large.jpeg

srw

We're taking another look at the step-over height - so it's possible (likely, I'd say) that the top tube will be rather less slopey than in the photo up-thread, as the seat tube could well be a bit longer.

Maybe if I lose a fair bit of weight that Esprit might be mine - it would be a great match for my van Nick Yukon.

Top Bottom