N+1 itch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
I currently have an n+1 itch that I am hoping to scratch. The current stable includes a MTB, Roadie and Hybrid, so many bases covered. However, despite my best planning it looks like I will need to be in London regularly while the games are on. I started to think about transportation across London and the feasibility of not using the tube to get around town. This lead me to start to think about getting a Brompton. Also if it were purely for business transportation, there might be scope for it to be a business asset.

Having had a look at specs etc. I have pretty much decided on the spec that I want and it includes a 3 speed hub and straight handlebars. Obviously none of the bike shops I have looked in have this in stock. So my choices are compromise on the handle bars and go for U shaped bars or order a bespoke bike and miss having it for the time I need it. The plus side of waiting would be speccing the colour to aim for a gulf racing homage (cars not bikes).

So do I wait, make do and get the spec that I really want, or hurry and buy something in time for when I most need it, but not the spec I want. I am erring to the former, as it would ultimately be for long term use, but it may pose issues over the next month depending on how clogged up London actually is...

What would you do? Thoughts and advice very welcome.

TIA

Matt

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Save the dosh and use a boris bike ^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Chances of actually getting a Boris Bike during Olympic Games surely must be near zero?

If you are flush....

Order your gulf racing stylee three speed S type
Buy a black 3 speed that's available ex-stock
Use it
Take delivery of your perfect Brompton
Sell the black one at or near list.

If not flush, buy a clunker and leave it chained up in London at the railway station of your choice.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I like the thinking re feeling flush and buying multiple bikes, n+2 and all that. Sadly at the moment, flush is not a word I would use to describe myself.

I am managing to feed my bike habit, but cannot let it be all consuming quite at the moment, well not to the point of buying two bikes.

I am now watching a few on eBay, as much as anything to see what they go for.

+1 on availability of Boris bikes. I tried using one a couple of weeks ago to get to and from Waterloo<->Barbican at peak. On the way in I had to walk past 3 stations before I found a bike, luckily placed it in the last slot near work. Heading home, I walked about 1km before finding one, and when I got to Waterloo, I had to queue for over 1/2 hour for a spot. And there were none other in the vicinity.

They are for tourists, and shopping, not commuting.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
Guess in that case I may need to get myself a non-perfect spec Brompton in the meantime and possibly look to trade it in / move it on at some point for my Gulf Racing Brompton, all in good time for Le Mans next year.

Will see if anything inspiring turns up on eBay before my Monday morning trip to London and it's Brompton stocked bike shops.

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
I have slightly gone down Greg's suggested route. I didn't get my perfect coloured bike, but am very pleased with what I did get. I am kind of planning to get the perfect one at some point and then maybe donate the current one to Mrs O, as it is the only bike that would fit us both.

Perhaps I will get it in time for Le Mans next year and I can then do my lap of the circuit by bike once the race has finished. Not quite sure how I would fit a Brompton in my Elise though. I bought a small and folding bike, but have a smaller car that it won't fit in. Maybe I will have to take something more practical, or perhaps arrange to borrow some luggage space from a bigger car.

Top Bottom