n + 1 to compliment 2014 CDF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stef 1

okay - had my current pair of wheels for 4 years now... still love them, but starting to get an itch. Feeling the need for something different.

My current ride is a 2014 Croix de Fer. Reasonably stock. I change tyre size every now and then .... usually 28c road tyres in the summer, and back to 35c cyclocross tyres with full mudguards in the cooler, wetter months or if I hit an occasional trial with the missus or kids.

I truly love my bike, but it is a heavy beast and is only getting heavier as I add things like a more comfortable saddle for longer rides, mudguards, etc etc

Nearly every day I tend to bust out around 15 - 25km to the best of my abilities in an attempt to keep fit and just for the joy of it. I'm getting fitter but blasting up hills will always be a bit of a chore on the CDF and I just fancy something a bit 'zoomier', 'nipper', n all that.

So, I'm after recommendations / thoughts / ideas...

I quite like the idea of building something myself, over this summer... but would also consider a whole bike but don't have a massive budget ... not decided quite how much yet, but I imagine definitely under £1k.

Kind of tempted by Kernow_T's Planet X carbon bike in the for sale section. It seems like a good deal, however, the paint job and finish isn't quite my cup 'o tea. I'm 5' 11", so might be on the ever so slightly large size too...

What would make a good foot down, head down belter for my morning blasts? I'd still keep the CDF for longer weekend wanders and when the weathers not so great...

Thanks!

IBarrett

Über Member
I was the one talking to Kernow_T about his bike. Sadly because I have fabulous wheels with 28c tubeless tyres which I want to use for my summer bike I had to back out as they seem not to fit the PX SL
The bikes I've been looking at are
Kinesis Racelight - love this thing but I'm on the edge of the stated weight limit (Aluminium)
Bowman Palace R - may be slightly above your budget. Rare as rocking horse shoot second user (Aluminium)
Cannondale Synapse - Damn those Cannondale stickers everywhere (Carbon)
Cannondale CAAD12 - see above (Carbon)

Oh, and to make my life more difficult I really want either a garish colour or white. Or at least absolutely none of this 'stealth' crap, but thats just me.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Ooh, that bowman looks nice! (Not usually my thang, but the lime green looks ace)
Is it wrong to lust after a bike on looks alone?

Kineses looks really versatile, but I’ve got my CDF if I need racks or guards etc...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Kinesis Racelight - love this thing but I'm on the edge of the stated weight limit (Aluminium)

I've had one for over 2 years & it's a great versatile bike, but IMO not an exciting ride. Paid about £600 new for mine, used it on mini tours & it copes well. I'm a big lad. around 16st at the mo, probably been as heavy as 17st over winter & maybe more when loaded up on tour & not had any issues, although I have changed the stock wheelset for a dynamo set up.
TBH probably better offerings out there if you're after 'zoomier' :okay:

IBarrett

Über Member
That’s VERY interesting feedback @Soltydog Thanks

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks - a few things ot think about / stare longingly at! New stuff to learn about!

Genesis equilibrium...keep it real with steel. Plenty of used ones on eBay usually under a grand :smile:
I do like steel bikes... I do love my current Genisis... hmmm... hadn't thought of getting another Genesis or another steely. As much as I love steel, and it gives a nice ride it's gone be heavier that alu or carbon? I do like old school though.

Do you like any of Spa Cycles offerings?
Not aware of them... look nice. I'm a northener (orignally). So they get an extra point for that. Haven't found anything under a grand as yet... but will keep me eyes open

Sorry, I'm prolly being dumb, but what is SFS? Perhaps not the most exciting to look at (IMHO) but heard really good things about dolan, but not really looked at them before... interesting

I've had one for over 2 years & it's a great versatile bike, but IMO not an exciting ride. Paid about £600 new for mine, used it on mini tours & it copes well. I'm a big lad. around 16st at the mo, probably been as heavy as 17st over winter & maybe more when loaded up on tour & not had any issues, although I have changed the stock wheelset for a dynamo set up.
TBH probably better offerings out there if you're after 'zoomier' :okay:
Yeah, from what I read up that was my thinking too... I have versatile already. Now I want a 'lil excitment!

I'm not in a particular hurry... there's still a few months to the middle of summer !

vickster

Legendary Member
My equilibrium is probably under 9kg without mudguards and rack etc :smile:

SFS= still for sale :smile:

What colours etc do you like? What would be aesthetically there for you?

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

My equilibrium is probably under 9kg without mudguards and rack etc :smile:
Noticably lighter than my CDF then! hmm. I bet it soaks up un-even roads well too...

SFS= still for sale :smile:
What colours etc do you like? What would be aesthetically there for you?
To be honest, that red equalibrium isn't far off... but my tastes are broadening. That bowman mentioned earlier looks damn fine too (although totally different to what I'm used to).

My aesthetics list:
Not too garish (except I like the lime green bowman).
Classy (although everyone's interpretation of that is different)
Not a fan of massiiiiive logos.
I'm a designer by trade, so well thought out style-wise

But, the right bike for the right price is the most important thing. In the mornings it's just me and empty country roads, so although it's got to look the part to an extent (I want to be proud of it), it's not the most important thing.
You know what, I've always had steel bikes, apart from an alu MTB. I think I need to borrow someone's carbon for a quick spin if I can wrangle that.
2017 tcr adv 2...The 2018 model that is just a diff colour has won bikeradar bike of the year.
If you like blue..slightly over budget

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/4700/...MImrnM_NLT2gIVz5TtCh2kAAE0EAQYBCABEgJOuvD_BwE

Seen a lot of those around these parts, so they must be doing something right. You're right, a little over budget right now, even 2nd hand. You know how these things go though... last time I bout a bike my budget 'inflated' a little at the last minute.
I'm getting sucked into this rather quickly... rather than just starting to think about it, I've spent the last three hours doing nothing else. I work from home.. must stay disciplined.... must stay disciplined.... the coming weeks aren't going to be too productive!

vickster

Legendary Member
452EC1A2-1A9D-4F35-87A0-2441E604DBF3.jpeg
Here’s my v pretty Eq...

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to try a carbon bike, just go to Evans and try one. Free and no obligation

If I had to choose between my Eq and my carbon, there’d be no question.

Top Bottom