Name change for London Cycling Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
Errr.... LCC does already cover cyclists outside London. You don't have to live in London to be a member of LCC. I haven't lived in London for almost two years and I know someone in Scotland, who has never lived in London, who's a member.

For sure LCC will take your money even if you live outside London. But I haven't seen them start to campaign in Scotland for instance. They specifically campaign in London - if someone in Scotland thinks that they want to join, this is different to the LCC representing Scotland cyclists.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I wonder what Andreas would say about this http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think the name-change and more importantly the associated repositioning makes sense looked at from outside. Cycling in the UK is going through a process of moving out from a 'ghetto' to being potentially something more like it is in the rest of northern Europe - in a sense when campaigns become something more than this, it is a marker of growing success. Making groups like LCC be seen to be more representative of a wider constituency and more open can only be socially and politically a good thing. Of course what individual members or members in particular groups do needn't change at all.

In Ontario we are still very much in the ghetto. In my town the first cycling campaign has only just been set up. I really look forward to the day when we can be more than a 'campaign' and be representing a larger range of people who are a major component of the transport system. Surely that's what all cycling campaigns want?

subaqua

What’s the point
redbridge LCC don't really give a flying fart about cyclists.

they put no opposition up to the proposed muster and briefing centre planned for Wanstead flats. they said that they couldn't see anything that would affect cycling . really- what about all the extra traffic and loss of off road cycling area.

they can change their name to whatever they want AFAIAC.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm a member, and live in Sussex. Less than 0.01% of my cycling is in London, but anything is better than being a CTC member.

subaqua

What’s the point
you may have been unlucky. Lambeth CC is a very fine organisation - and Wandsworth CC might be small, but they know their stuff.

I think it might be NE London apathy.

stowie

Legendary Member
I think it might be NE London apathy.

have you attended any WF LCC events? Being a fellow inmate lucky resident of Waltham Forest?

I have had intentions of attending on the monthly meetings, but have been away when they have been held previously. Maybe the next one will work out.

I get the impression they are quite active. I am the first to be critical of the often pathetic and laughable attempts at cycling infrastructure in the borough, but feel I should put my money where my mouth by getting a bit more involved.

Top Bottom