Name change for London Cycling Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian_oli

Über Member
The dreaded branding consultants have struck and there are proposals to change its name to London Cyclists.

Frankly I am not that bothered about a new name per se, though I joined LCC for three things only, it campaigning (of which it seems to do less and less) its insurance and its discount card.

What I do object to is that so far there has been as far as I can see no publicity about this or attempt to involve the membership - its only because I subscribe to a particular Yahoo group I have heard about this. It's not announced on the website and I don't recall a whisper in the last magazine.

I suppose this a hazard now that LCC is a charity. Its management and trustees can more or less do what they want regardless of the membership.

I am afraid that this is a sign the the LCC is disappearing up its own fundament, just like has happened to CTC and it will move LCC further from its original purpose which was to campaign on behalf of cyclists in London

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there is some considerable angst within the active parts of the LCC about this - I get the borough yahoo group e-mails, and nobody seems quite sure what it's about.

Surely it's a writing on the tin thing. Right now the LCC is primarily a campaigning organisation. If the name changes, how will the LCC change?

her_welshness

As the Lewisham branch we have been contacted to provide feedback for this branding. I think they plan to change the logo too. I know I should not be saying this, but I cannot be arsed, ultimately the name says what we do. We are a cycling organisation, in London and we campaign.

A few months ago we got told that we had to fill in various statistics which ran over several spread sheets for our borough. We did not get asked to do this, but told. As a Coordinator who volunteers my time, it p*ssed me off that we were given no advance warning and that we had a period of a few weeks to fill it in. Probably this was at the instigation of the new CE, as is probably the rebrand. We also get a pittance of a grant from LCC, the Skyride grant is roughly the same amount and thats just one event in the year!

Mutter mutter, grumble grumble. :angry:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
here's the letter from the new CE

Dear Friends,

Apologies for cross-postings.

Many thanks to all of you who have been giving views across the e-lists of the
issue of renaming London Cycling Campaign as London Cyclists. It seems that not
everyone has seen the rationale for such a rename, so please allow me to draw
the strands together via this email. (I apologise in advance for its length.)

Our starting point is our ambition. In recent years we have delivered a very
important increase in the number and profile of our public campaigns (on HGVs,
Parking and Theft) as well as continued our long tradition of applying expert
pressure on specific issues policy issues (from the Olympics to motorcycles in
bus lanes). But set against the scale of the challenge that remains this is
clearly not enough. We need bring even greater scale and impact to our
campaigning, That's why at the AGM last year I announced our intention to run a
campaign on the 2012 London Elections that surpasses anything we have done in
recent times in terms of public appeal and `bite'. I also announced that we will
run an online consultation with members as to what high impact, transformative
single issue this campaign should have as its theme.

But in pursuing our ambitions we have to ask ourselves if we are yet big enough,
and delivering sufficient breadth of activism, to make the above campaigns – or
indeed any other campaign – a success. Indeed, as cycling has increased in
popularity, and as other bodies are increasing their own outreach to cyclists,
our membership (and activism) must grow in line. At the moment it isn't, and
hasn't for some time. We need a change in approach.

That is why we are pursuing a rename (but not in isolation – see below). As a
member of a number of years standing myself I am aware of the organisation's
heritage, and certainly nothing is `broken'. But equally can we really argue
that we are reaching out to `everyday' cyclists as well as we might? This name
change hasn't come through focus groups or the use of management consultancies.
It has come from the Board of Trustees and Staff taking the view that we wish to
project a more personal and less institutional image to the public. It is a
positive proposition not because we are failing, but because we think this
rename will help us to do better. We realise that there are many pros and cons
with any new name, but feel that on balance this new name (taken with all the
other measures described in this message) will aid us do better.

I mentioned above that this renaming would not take place in isolation. This is
an absolutely crucial point. I have already touched on our high ambitions
regarding next year's London Elections – because what we actually do counts for
much more than what we call ourselves (especially as we are not exactly a
household name – yet). Please allow me to also mention some other changes that
are afoot.

First the website. Along with the name change we will launch a new website in
April. It will be much more `people-focussed' in style and content, and will
more strongly appeal to the breadth of folk who cycle in London. It will have
mapping to allow members to highlight what is good about cycling and better
campaign against what is bad. It will have forums to better facilitate debate
and decision-making. In short, it will be a more effective platform to engage
with each other, reach out to the general public and promote our campaigns.

Second we are revamping our approach to income generation to enable this
increased campaigning work and make us less dependent on external funding. We
narrowly avoided an extremely damaging drop in income this year and need to
buttress and increase our funding base. (In passing, we envisage that a name
change will be helpful in this area too.)

Finally we are overhauling our policy positions to give them greater coherency
and clarity, and in will better articulate them to decision-makers and the
public. Some of you are already engaging in this process.

So I hope it is transparent that this name change in itself is, in one sense,
not the big issue: it is instead a part (albeit a vital one) of a package of
measures expressly designed to increase our campaigning impact as their ultimate
objective. Even this won't be enough. We will need to adapt and progress even
further over the coming months and years to maintain and enhance our position as
London's premier cycling advocacy organisation.

In conclusion the Board and I very much understand and appreciate that many
members will not be supportive of this rename. On the other hand I am confident
that many members will be. I hope that in time we will be able to gain the
support of everyone. Either way I am sure we all agree that our organisation's
impact, as measured against the scale of the challenge we face is (despite past
successes) not as great as we all strive and yearn for. Everything I have
described in this email (and the measures still to come) - taken as a whole -
are a considered attempt to address this.

Thanks for your kind attention (and I hope to see as many of you as possible
participating in our No More Lethal Lorries Day of Action on Wednesday 30th).

Appparently it's about projecting a more personal and less institutional image. I suppose it's not for me to say, but I'm not overwhelmed by this, and wonder (from some experience) if the Board isn't being given something to think about while the executive goes on its merry way......

StuartG

slower but further
What's in a name?

The less the better. Enter lcc.org.uk and you are there ... and as they are probably too late to grab lc.org uk - and londoncyclists.org.uk appears to be in the hands of a domain squatter . Our local group has their domain names registered to the London Cycling Campaign so we would have to pay nominet to change them or risk losing them (again) if the registered contact goes AWOL.

This is nonsense. I've worked for major corporations where branding is important and we were prepared to throw money at it - but screwing up local voluntary groups in unexpected ways is plain silly.

A new CE, and we hope a breath of fresh air. But I hope he soon realises this is a dead easy way to unnecessarily alienate the people who should be rooting for him. I hope he listens ...

StuartG

slower but further
Whoops - on checking the address of londoncyclists.org.uk looks strangely familiar. Registered on 17/12/2010 so looks if decision may have already been made.

her_welshness

This is nonsense. I've worked for major corporations where branding is important and we were prepared to throw money at it - but screwing up local voluntary groups in unexpected ways is plain silly.

A new CE, and we hope a breath of fresh air. But I hope he soon realises this is a dead easy way to unnecessarily alienate the people who should be rooting for him. I hope he listens ...

Yep, get a new CE in and they will ring in the changes. Umm, what shall we do, I know we will have a rebrand! :rolleyes:

I will look forward though to the new web-site!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Saw those emails too, this sadly reminds me of another cycling organisation going through a rebrand.

Sad...

jonesy

Guru
Does this mean they want to go down the road followed by some other cycling organisations- getting into consultancy, start doing lots of government contracts, become dependent upon government grants to support increasing staff numbers, become a charitable trust, sit on the board of lots of quangos etc etc because even if that were a desirable road, the government funding boat was missed some years ago...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
....writes our Diplomatic Correspondent.......

Well it was late and I'd just returned from a 'Funeral for a friend' gig in Birmingham with my daughter (I was still shell-shocked).

In my view, the name stated the organisers aims quite clearly. It would (I would hope) attract those cyclists who want to make a difference rather than those who are just keen bike riders. The 'Militant' wing of cycling! There are already clubs and organisations for keen bikers and if there are not then maybe there is room for such. The question is whether the re-brand the LCC isd the way? IMO it will become just another club with it's campaigning zeal severely diminished. We have enough toothless tigers with the CTC.

But I have another personal fondness for the LCC. You may be aware from my P&L driblings and occasional rants, that I'm a good grumbler, but poor activist. I have only ever been on one demonstration in my life organised by ..... LCC, (and that was during the early Thatcher years where there was plenty to demonstrate about). They even got Ivor Cutler along to entertain us afterwards in Jubilee gardens. Heady stuff, my student years. Long live the LCC.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we await the photographs of the younger Foodie, Che Guevara beret at a jaunty angle, holding one clenched fist aloft and crying 'Power to the People that Pedal'.

Top Bottom