Name for part

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I am building up a Surly LHT and need to get a couple of bits that I have no idea what they are called. They are:
1 the hanger for the front cantilever brake that goes over the steerer tube (brake hanger?)
2 the collars for the font and rear derailleurs that sit on the down tube. There are studs brazed onto the LHT which I assumed were for gear shifters, but must also be for these collars.
If anyone knows what either/both of these parts are called I would be grateful. Hopefully I would then have more choice buying online
Thanks

numbnuts

Legendary Member
1. front brake hanger
2. I maybe wrong but I think they come with the down tube shifters, maybe you should go to you local bike shop

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ricksavery said:
1 the hanger for the front cantilever brake that goes over the steerer tube (brake hanger?)
Cable hanger, I'd say.

One point regarding the steerer mounted ones is that you can (depending on how low you want your bars) get an awkward cable run, depending on how close to the stem you wrap your bars (and assuming your cable is under the tape). I went for a fork crown mounted hanger instead.
2 the collars for the font and rear derailleurs that sit on the down tube. There are studs brazed onto the LHT which I assumed were for gear shifters, but must also be for these collars.
If anyone knows what either/both of these parts are called I would be grateful. Hopefully I would then have more choice buying online
Thanks
Downtube cable stops. (You can splash out and get Dura Ace, if you like ;-) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=38728 )

Think about grabbing some inline adjusters for your canti-brakes too, as it's a sight more convenient than adjusting via the cable clamp.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Still haven't got the hang of this quoting mularkey:
John the Monkey - I like the fork crown mounted hanger. Not using drop bars so cable run should be OK, but still I like it ! Dura-ace cable stops a bit expensive for me, but look worth saving up for. I assume the inline adjusters are those rotating barrels that fit round the cables (know the objects - I think - just not sure what everything is called)

numbnuts - not using downtube shifters, but I know what you mean, they are all part of the same unit. With bar mounted shifters its just a 'thing' that mounts on the tube.

Thanks chaps
Rick

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ricksavery said:
John the Monkey - I like the fork crown mounted hanger. Not using drop bars so cable run should be OK, but still I like it !

:thumbsup:

It should allow your cable to take a more gentle path to the brake - any reason for not going for V-brakes if you're fitting flat bars? Probably easier to get V brake levers than Canti these days. (No hanger required for Vs as well).

With the Kona one, you may need a slightly longer bolt and a spacer to get it to clear your headset cup (at least, I did with my FSA Orbit headset).

Dura-ace cable stops a bit expensive for me, but look worth saving up for. I assume the inline adjusters are those rotating barrels that fit round the cables (know the objects - I think - just not sure what everything is called)
I think, if you're using flat bar hardware, your levers will have an inline adjuster (for the brake cable tension) where the brake outer exits the lever body, so you probably won't need an inline adjuster.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Feel completely stupid now! Have brake levers that can be either for cantilevers of V-brakes, and was planning to get (or at least have a good lokk at V-brakes) and of course, John the Monkey, you're right, they don't need a hanger. Not having used them before I didn't really think that one through did I ?:biggrin: (I may stay with cantilevers, not sure yet - someone told me they re-centre better after braking - so information still very useful)
On my old frame i found the down tube cable stops still attached, so, one more mark in the column of stupidity. However, they are quite cheap and ugly, so it's good to know what they are called so I can get some shiny new ones.
Sorry to have wasted people's time with this one, still, all very useful to know. Thanks
Rick

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ricksavery said:
Feel completely stupid now! Have brake levers that can be either for cantilevers of V-brakes, and was planning to get (or at least have a good lokk at V-brakes) and of course, John the Monkey, you're right, they don't need a hanger. Not having used them before I didn't really think that one through did I ?:biggrin: (I may stay with cantilevers, not sure yet - someone told me they re-centre better after braking - so information still very useful)

The advantage of Vs is that the level of mechanical advantage (the lever pull vs. action of the brake arms (I think)) is essentially pre-set. Stick the brakes on, stick the levers on, connect the two & gap the pads away from the wheel as required, and you're done.

Cantis can be fine tuned somewhat by raising and lowering the straddle wire - they're a bit more of a faff to set up, and I'm not sure (personally) that you get a lot of extra benefit for that faff. Mrs. Monkey has fairly low level Shimano Acera V brakes and levers on her bike, and they're really very good, taking about a fifth or the time to set up that my cantis did.

Do check that the arms of any V brakes you're intending to fit will clear racks &c you intend to mount on the bike. Be VERY sure that you've set the levers for the correct brake type too, as the cable pull is quite different, and braking with the lever set incorrectly will be no fun at all.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Rick, have a look at MacB's thread here - excellent price for the CR-720s and the Kona cable hanger.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47198

Top Bottom