naming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
My 29er is called Priscilla - because she looks like a lady but underneath she's a dude! (Pricilla, Queen of the Desert)

Nairn_bike_view2.jpg

I thought about calling my carbon bike Arnold (Ridley) after Pte Godfrey in Dad's Army, but then I thought it was just silly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My old trek is called Big Purple. It was called that by previous owner, and I didn't wish to confuse it. Now getting a refit, so it may be Big, Better Purple soon. It was called this because The Band had an album (and a house) called Music from Big Pink, long ago.

lee1980sim

Only names mine have are the supposedly inconspicuous names I use for strava which is black & white each due to the obvious reasons, and the reason they have these names instead of the bike they are is due to the lovely dregs of society using apps like strava to find bikes worth stealing

The red one,the blue one and the black one.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One does not simply buy a bike and name it there and then, it takes thought, a lot of consideration, and most importantly, time for a name to develop and mature as well as for your machine's true character to come out. Apperance counts for little, it is what is in it's little frame that counts.

So:

(The) Fox
- The Felt, which goes so fast I named him/her after BA's Concorde G - BOAF (Foxtrot), the last ever to fly. It might eventually develop into a better name - For some reason I keep wanting to call it 'Fox fox' (which would actually refer to Air France's Concorde F - BVFF (Foxtrot Foxtrot)) so, who knows?

Le Pug - The Peugeot dating from the early/mid '90s. Yet again, maybe a name will develop with time.
It is the most beautiful metallic cherry red, but calling it 'Ruby' or similar would be way too obvious!

Clive - The 1967 Claude Butler Saphire, so named as I found a piece of greaseproof paper hidden in the seat post giving a name and address which would appear to have been the original owner. They were called Clive and it suits the bike too. Names like 'Claude' or 'Saffie' seemed a bit too obvious anyway.

The Humber - Still to develop into a proper name, although I do have some ideas swirling about in my head.

Other previous names for bikes no longer with us were

The Tank - A Raleigh Max Ogre that was so big, bombproof and heavy..... Well, the name explains the rest.
Actually, I think it was originally called Max, but it was in the days before I really gave these things much thought.

And

Sir Creaky Bike Of The Dump (originally known as 'Squeakybike' and then 'Sir Squeakybike') - A cheap BSO that creaked and squeaked almost immediately from the time I got it. The 'Sir' bit was irony seeing as it was a BSO, and the 'Of The Dump' bit was a continuation of the supposedly posh title and also a reference to Stig Of The Dump, i.e. the dump being where it should have gone a long long time ago!

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
Beauty is the carbon road bike, ken junior is the steel bike, EPO is the winter trek roadie and the hybrid is called the dog

Top Bottom