Narrow cheap saddle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The problem is because the leading edge is wider in a forard position, at a given posture this means you're digging into your flesh more with the saddle as you pedal downwards. You can demonstrate this by slumping on the floor against a wall, putting your hand on your ass and doing a pedalling motion parallel to the ground. Move your hand down towards your thigh as you pedal you will feel it digging in.

If you've sensitive skin this can lead to the discomfort.

The solutions I can think of are either to move current saddle towards aft of bike a bit, or get a saddle with the leading edge further back. Or leave saddle as is, get a longer stem and train yourself to be more stretched forward so the leading edge doesn't dig in.
that bit of moving the saddle back sounds like what i have considered, i have 3.5 cm of setback from saddle tip to BB , i could go back a bit but obviously i would need a shorter stem .
Anyone got a 90 mm OS stem handy ? ;)

RhythMick

Über Member
I have both an 80 and a 90 spare at the moment.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Brooks Swallow Titanium comes in at 153mm
Just won a saddle on ebay , Planet x sportive that is 125 mm width , worth a punt at £7.
On the thread about handle bar wrapping they askd about my set up and said i looked to low/over reaching at the front so i have swapped the commuter for a shorter stem i had in stock and will do the same for the nice bike when th one @RhythMick arrives.
I have also gone through my shorts and found a couple of pairs of shorts that have narrower pads , dhb this year compared to last years even though i had to go a size up to get them to fit as they are cut smaller .

RhythMick

Über Member
Just won a saddle on ebay , Planet x sportive that is 125 mm width , worth a punt at £7.
On the thread about handle bar wrapping they askd about my set up and said i looked to low/over reaching at the front so i have swapped the commuter for a shorter stem i had in stock and will do the same for the nice bike when th one @RhythMick arrives.
I have also gone through my shorts and found a couple of pairs of shorts that have narrower pads , dhb this year compared to last years even though i had to go a size up to get them to fit as they are cut smaller .

Hope it works out for you. Fit is everything.

RhythMick

Über Member
I always think about a proper bike fit but looking at £200 ball park and i just dont have it , lbs were off hand when i asked them if they did any bike fitting .

RaceScene in Barnsley did an extensive bike fit for £75. I still have the data and used it to select my first proper road bike (which is ace).

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

RaceScene in Barnsley did an extensive bike fit for £75. I still have the data and used it to select my first proper road bike (which is ace).
Cheapest around here...
Level 1. 2D Bike Fit
Approx 75 mins - £89.99

Locations:- Bristol, Billericay, Derby, Darlington, London (Putney), Folkestone

Includes the positional setup of one bike.

The level 1 bike fit option uses traditional static bike fit measurements while the rider is stationary on the bike. An Excellent choice for people in the process of selecting a new bike and needing to know what kind of geometry is going to suit them best, or riders who need general guidance of a suitable set-up for their existing bike. The fitting jig used allows any geometry to be replicated or the fit can be performed on your own bike. The process ends with the mechanical set-up of your current bike and the production of a PDF report of the final set-up geometry. If you don't have a the bike that needs setting up at the time of the fit, bring it back in at a later date to complete the set-up.

Level 2. 3D Dynamic fit using Retul motion tracking system
Approx 2hrs30mins - £149.99 (off peak) or £184.99 (peak time)
And Probably the highest rated , adrian timmis

• Price £185
  • Price for out of hours bike fit £250, call for availability .
  • Rider flexibility and physical assessment-history
  • Setup carried out on your current bike
  • Video comparison between new and old position
  • CycleOps Power Beam turbo
  • Includes SIDAS 100% custom footbeds worth £80.00
  • Includes cleat/shoe adjustment
  • Dynamic fit of saddle height and fore/aft position
  • Hip, knee and foot alignment
  • Salsa sizing stem used if needed
  • Road, Time Trial, Triathlon, Cyclo-cross and Full-sus and hardtail MTB bikes
  • Duplicate fit to 2rd bike, ie race bike to training bike at same fitting £40.00extra
  • If 2nd fit on different style ie TT instead of road bike £60.00 extra
  • 2nd pair of SIDAS footbeds at same fitting £70.00
  • 2nd pair of shoes for cleat adjustment £10
  • Leg Length Shims, Cleat Wedges and In The Shoe Wedges extra cost if needed
  • Integrated seatposts cut to size £15 extra
  • Allow 2-3hrs for fit

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After your bike fit you can the adjust it to suit you.:cuppa: Know a few people who have spent a fortune on a bike fit, a few months down the line they are changing one thing or another. It looks to me as when you have paid x amount of money for one it's hard to tell some one you wasted your money.
For some people i can see it might help,to get there basic position right, I have had a few shop keepers tell me it's a good money spinner. :popcorn:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

After your bike fit you can the adjust it to suit you.:cuppa: Know a few people who have spent a fortune on a bike fit, a few months down the line they are changing one thing or another. It looks to me as when you have paid x amount of money for one it's hard to tell some one you wasted your money.
For some people i can see it might help,to get there basic position right, I have had a few shop keepers tell me it's a good money spinner. :popcorn:
Well got some of the cheapest dhb shorts com today and they feel more comfy than the more expensive one , sat on the bike and flet ok ( hard to say til i ride )
along with saddle i can but hope
I dont think theres much wrong with my fit but its something you think about .

Top Bottom