Narrow Tyres = Low BB = Pedal Strike ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
... on my converted MTB/commuter-hack:sad:

I switched from 26x1.95 to 26x1.0 tyres (the lowest my Mavic XC717 rims can take). The problem is that I now only have an approx BB height of 240mm. With 170mm cranks (and flat pedals) that's only 70mm pedal clearance.

I tested this setup for a couple of miles and had a couple of hairy moments with pedal strike (at my usual speed around corners)!

So what can I do? Get shorter cranks? I've seen a cheap 152mm chainset. But will that be too short?

BTW: I'd prefer to keep flat (non clipless) pedals on this bike if possible.

Lift your inside pedal while cornering, don't pedal. Stupid advice, but I have a mtb with a low BB and the only to take corners at speed is not pedal through the corners.

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
I guess I'll have to cycle like a granny / chav on BSO:biggrin:

The problem is I have a few uphill sharp bends, so need to pedal a little. Pulling into a wide main road (from stationary) is similarly an issue - I have to pedal while turning.

Maybe a new frame with higher BB?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
How much clearance did you have on the previous tyres ?

I would have though the cheaper option would be get some new tyres between what you have got and what you did have before you start changing frames / crank sets.

Or of course use it as a reason to get a 2nd bike

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
4F said:
How much clearance did you have on the previous tyres ?

I would have though the cheaper option would be get some new tyres between what you have got and what you did have before you start changing frames / crank sets.

Or of course use it as a reason to get a 2nd bike

An extra 25mm clearance with the 1.95 tyres - so a 265mm BB height. For some reason I can't stand fat tyres anymore - that's why I went for 26x1.0

The 152mm chainset I mentioned is only £16 - it's only an old (2006 Spesh Hardrock Sport disc) MTB that I'm trying to get some use from. And I already have 5 other bikes:blush:

Top Bottom