Narrowing down the ago of my Galaxy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
By the head badge, I know my recently aquired Super Galaxy was made between '81 - 2000. However, as specs change during the production run of such long produced bikes as the Galaxy, thought that if I contacted Dawes and gave a ful list of the frame number, colour, spec / components etc., of my particular one, they may be able to narrow it down to a time bracket, e.g., '85 - '90.
E- mailed Dawes with the list and they replied asking if I could send a photograph of my Galaxy as this would help them date it.
Bearing in mind the fire that destroyed their records was in 1975, Am I missing something here - ? :whistle:

Punkawallah

Über Member
I’d be tempted to check the components for date stamps - brakes & hubs usually. If it has Campagnolo parts, they can be dated, too. Comes with the usual caveats, though :-)

My Galaxy-type (2nd hand) came with a mix of Galaxy and Super components :-)

dnrc

Veteran
By the head badge, I know my recently aquired Super Galaxy was made between '81 - 2000. However, as specs change during the production run of such long produced bikes as the Galaxy, thought that if I contacted Dawes and gave a ful list of the frame number, colour, spec / components etc., of my particular one, they may be able to narrow it down to a time bracket, e.g., '85 - '90.
E- mailed Dawes with the list and they replied asking if I could send a photograph of my Galaxy as this would help them date it.
Bearing in mind the fire that destroyed their records was in 1975, Am I missing something here - ? :whistle:

Why not just post a picture here? Or on Retrobike - you'll get an answer in no time I would have thought

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Some Galaxy have clues on the frames...

IMG_20210627_205130.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
The fire was before your bike was built, using the years you've given.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Ask the question in the Vintage section though, where all the old steel fans loiter. Maybe the @Moderators should move the post to a more appropriate place?

Hey! Less of the 'old' - I'm just 'well matured' :-)

Top Bottom