Narrowing it down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pit Stop Pat

Imminent scenario: Upgrading the roadbike chainstay/drivetrain and i would like some friendly pointers to go with that upgrade ;) This is a flat bar conversion which is a first for me. I have a tendency to explain things in a too too too complicated manner manner manner so i will try try try to keep it simple simple simple :banghead:

Please consider these hashtags in order of priority:

#Ultegra equipment
#10 speed (2x10)
#50/34-170-11/?
#flat bar shifters compatible with Ultegra FD/RD

I am struggling a bit putting all the pieces together inside my head. Don`t want to mess it up. My reasoning is obtaining an Ultegra crankset and take it from there. I found out the latest 8000 series only caters for 11 speed, so it would have to be another Ultegra series. I also found out the 6800 crankset has a fault with the exterior plastic cover coming loose over time. Is the 6700 series crankset the only one left i can use?

I haven`t fully overruled installing an 11 speed system, but i have no experience using an 11 speed set up.

Help out the new guy...someone? :angel:

mikeymustard

Veteran
I think you might struggle to find ultegra (or 105) 10 speed flat bar shifters due to them being quite rare even when they were being produced, but Tiagra will work and are still made.

OP
OP
P

Pit Stop Pat

Say guys, will the new Ultegra 8000 11 speed series crankset work in conjunction with a 10 speed cassette? Just got a hot tip it might, but not the other way around.

si_c

Guru
Say guys, will the new Ultegra 8000 11 speed series crankset work in conjunction with a 10 speed cassette? Just got a hot tip it might, but not the other way around.
From what I understand the new R8000 series crankset has slightly narrower spacing than the older versions. The older ones are backwards compatible about as far as you'd like (I've run one with 8 speed), but the new ones are not. This also affects the front derailleur and shifter combinations as the movement required is now less.

It may work with a 10speed setup, but you may find chain rub issues with the derailleurs and it would be worth checking how well the chain sits on the chainset.

Also worth bearing in mind is that current generation Tiagra will be every bit as good as 6700 ultegra, and likely a bit cheaper too.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Upgrading the roadbike chainstay/drivetrain and i would like some friendly pointers to go with that upgrade. This is a flat bar conversion
What equipment are you currently running (make/model)? Chainring and sprocket teeth numbers.
I'll make the observation that the chainset is often not the same as the rest of the groupset parts, so beware of letting your possession of an Ultegra crankset drive the rest of the 'upgrade' (see what I did there?).
http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/

OP
OP
P

Pit Stop Pat

Interesting. Nope, don`t want any of that chain rub. By "narrower spacing" i assume you mean the distance between the two chain discs. My co worker at the lbs said the same thing. I`m looking at using Ultegra derailleurs. Ok, i will consider buying the R8000 and see if it works out. If not i`ll just get an 11 speed cassette. Some of the problem with troubleshooting this is having access to the different 10 & 11 speed equipment.

The object in question is a Specialized Ruby, 48 cm frame size with a stock Sora set up. It has 3 x 9 gear ratio. I want to give it a 2 x 10 set up. Crank is 50-39-30 and the cassette is 11-32. It`s coming off and has no relevance for the end user. I`m not sure i follow you on the last bit. Beware of what? I am aiming at going full Ultegra as far as the drivetrain, the flat bar shifters may have to be Tiagra if i can`t find a suitable Ultegra shifter set.

FWIW, i am considering both 50/34 and 46/36 and most likely be installing 170 crank arms. For the cassette i would like to go to 11/34 for ease of climbs if i can. Assume this means getting a long cage, not sure about that. Looks like the newer Ultegra doesn`t make a long cage RD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pit Stop Pat

What do you mean by mech ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What do you mean by mech ?
Rear derailier derailler deraileur sprocket-changing and chain tensioning thing.

rear mech.jpg

Last edited:

mikeymustard

Veteran
(from the Cycling Weakly review of Ultegra r8000):
"Aside from the facelift, other notable changes include the medium rear derailleur’s ability
to accommodate an 11-34 cassette"

OP
OP
P

Pit Stop Pat

When browsing the mighty onlines for flat bar shifters i specifically browse for road compatible flat bar shifters ("city") Maybe there are some MTB shifters also compatible with a 10 speed road derailleur set up. Any thoughts on this? For the record, we are still in the realms of Shimano. When determining if a shifter is compatible, should i be looking at the cable pull only? Thanks !

Top Bottom