Nashbar Steel or Viking Racemaster?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

You could always get off the internet and use your feet.. ;) Ask in bike shops. They may know of bikes for sale and a lot of them will have taken bikes like that in PX and you may get lucky.

For £200 I would NOT be looking to buy new.

I've asked all of my local bike shops if they do second hand, one of them does sell second hand bikes but they cost upwards of £600.

Cyclist33

So many different opinions.

• The Tribans frame is too big for me right now, I will be getting it in two months.

I'm confused. Why can't you wait two months for the 52cm Triban and spend the £200 on, say, some swanky wheels or a bunch of nice kit to go with the Triban? And has been said, don't believe the press release, only way to confirm sizing is try before you buy. It's a lot of money to waste getting the wrong size bike simply because you didn't check it out in advance. Trust me, I speak from experience!

I think we can safely say that of all the "so many different opinions", the one that seems pretty consistent is - don't get the Nashville. Up to you if you want to listen or not. Beats me why you posted if all you're seeking is validation of a choice you've already made.

Stu

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Why a strict budget of £200? Can your bike not be fixed?

The bike is trashed, the single speed makeshift modification has bent the wheel, the fork has a large dent in it - it's really not worth fixing. It was a cheap bike to begin with and I'm looking to upgrade.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I'm confused. Why can't you wait two months for the 52cm Triban and spend the £200 on, say, some swanky wheels or a bunch of nice kit to go with the Triban? And has been said, don't believe the press release, only way to confirm sizing is try before you buy. It's a lot of money to waste getting the wrong size bike simply because you didn't check it out in advance. Trust me, I speak from experience!

I think we can safely say that of all the "so many different opinions", the one that seems pretty consistent is - don't get the Nashville. Up to you if you want to listen or not. Beats me why you posted if all you're seeking is validation of a choice you've already made.

Stu

I haven't made any choice yet. I would like a bike now because I don't have one. I'm not going to wait two months for a Triban which may or may not be in stock and I may or may not like it. I will be going to try out the Triban in October and if I like it, I will be purchasing it. In the mean time though, I need a bike.

In the mean time though, I need a bike.

Trax T700 from Halfords - £119.99 - sorted.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH - spending £200+ on a steel bike with downtube shifters is going to be a bit of a false economy anyway - and if that's the kind of bike you really want, then you can get them s/h out of the small ads in most local papers for less than half that.

Downtube shifters have been obsolete for around 20 years now, so I'd be inclined to get something a bit more up to date...

Yes!

Considering its a temporary arrangement as you say, then if you sell this Nashville thing on, it will sell for a lot less than you paid (1st owner always eats it on depreciation). If you buy a second hand steel road bike, an older bike, then you will get a better bike in the meantime until you can buy something more permanent and when you sell it on, you will get most if not all of your money back.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Yes!

Considering its a temporary arrangement as you say, then if you sell this Nashville thing on, it will sell for a lot less than you paid (1st owner always eats it on depreciation). If you buy a second hand steel road bike, an older bike, then you will get a better bike in the meantime until you can buy something more permanent and when you sell it on, you will get most if not all of your money back.

I've got no problems going second hand, it's just that Gumtree/local papers have nothing good in them.

I bought my bike from halfords and never had any problems with the bike or the service from my local halfords

Even this bike would do

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_871769_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Sorry, I'm not looking for a hybrid :bicycle:

Top Bottom