Nasty dogs - a 'I am hard' badge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Night Train said:
Mine stil had her tail, it was a great tail to wave around.

So, a Rottie WITH a tail is better than one without??? Sorry for sounding like a complete dork - but it's nice to have opinions?

longers

Legendary Member
That is very good FBOAB :biggrin:

I'd have a Dobermann, love em to bits and it would be the softest dog you'd ever meet :tongue:

And it wouldn't have its tail docked either.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

fossyant said:
Can't beat a well trained dog..... these idiots that don't treat them properly cause the image/actual problems......

As usual, Foss AKA Mr Sensible comes up with the goods :biggrin:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

longers said:
That is very good FBOAB :biggrin:

I'd have a Dobermann, love em to bits and it would be the softest dog you'd ever meet :biggrin:

And it wouldn't have its tail docked either.

I'm getting really confused now.

So!!! A dog with a tail is better than docked? Although I understand the principle, I can't see how it changes the personality. :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
It doesn't change the personality, in all but a very few cases* it's done for cosmetic purposes only.

*really not very many at all.

puddleglum

Night Train said:
It just gives big dogs a bad name and then winds the dog up to the point that it reacts badly and 'justifies' it's perceived reputation.

When I got a Rottie as a rescue we called her Mollie so that she had a nice soft name. We also made sure that she was settled, happy and friendly with everyone. Her guarding instinct was good enough without having to bolster it through nastiness and so she was just lovely to be with but made a lot of noise if someone tried to break in.

Yeah, please don't assume bull mastiffs or other 'aggresive' dogs are actually like that. I had a bullie (Hooch) for a number of years until he died of cancer. Like Mollie, he was friendly, really happy and outgoing and stiill knew how to guard. Or at least bark. Deep down I knew if anyone actually broke in, he would have wagged them over (like what happened to the xmas tree) and licked them to death.

Its just the image of the certain breeds, perpetuated by lousy owners who have no idea how to train or handle a dog.

And Snapper, if that dog you describe is going to be left alone for that amount of time, the RSPCA need to know about it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If you were a dog someone cut your tail off when you were a puppy I think it would change your personality. Also if, because of that, you were unable to show your emotions to other dogs and people then that would change how they responded to you and that would also change your personality.

A tail is important to a dog much as facial expresion is important to people.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
snapper_37 said:
As usual, Foss AKA Mr Sensible comes up with the goods :biggrin:

Oi - love dogs, but we are out all day, so have 3 cats..... hmm - TBH, they can be really nice animals - but you can't train them...... :biggrin:

My In-laws have neighbours (at the caravan) with two big bouncy boxers - the dogs are properly trained, and go bananas when they see the kids - but a little word, the dogs stop...fab...:tongue:

Boxers are big dogs, but properly trained are fab with kids...you just have to watch their 'energy'...... big sloppy things, but you'd never cross one...

longers

Legendary Member
Night Train said:
If you were a dog someone cut your tail off when you were a puppy I think it would change your personality. Also if, because of that, you were unable to show your emotions to other dogs and people then that would change how they responded to you and that would also change your personality.

A tail is important to a dog much as facial expresion is important to people.

I like what you've written here NTand would like to change my mind from post 21. It just re-forces my view that it's cruel and unnecessary.

Don't let it put you off rehoming a docked dog though Snapper.

Night Train

Maker of Things
There are breeds of dogs that are tougher and more able and willing to fight then others but that ability is only really brought out through bad training that is probably more like abuse. Staffies are another breed that is lovely with children and great fun to play with but they do need to be taught how to moderate their strength and boisterous nature in such a way that they can have fun without scaring people. Basically all dogs need teaching bounderies that they can play and behave in, just like children really. In the wild, other dogs will do the teaching, domesticated ones need people to take on that role.

I am still of the opinion that there are no bad dogs or breeds, just owners that should have been neutered or drowned at birth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Night Train said:
There are breeds of dogs that are tougher and more able and willing to fight then others but that ability is only really brought out through bad training that is probably more like abuse. Staffies are another breed that is lovely with children and great fun to play with but they do need to be taught how to moderate their strength and boisterous nature in such a way that they can have fun without scaring people. Basically all dogs need teaching bounderies that they can play and behave in, just like children really. In the wild, other dogs will do the teaching, domesticated ones need people to take on that role.

I am still of the opinion that there are no bad dogs or breeds, just owners that should have been neutered or drowned at birth.

Exactly - well trained dogs are brill with kids..... they naturally understand it's a 'young un'....

Night Train

Maker of Things
longers said:
Don't let it put you off rehoming a docked dog though Snapper.
Yes, rehoming a dog that has been docked is fine as most are docked as a kennel club 'breed requirement' for showing I think. It just means that you need to love it more and learn to understand the subtlties of bottom wiggles, ear movement and nose twitches as well as foot fidgeting.

Top Bottom