Nasty dogs - a 'I am hard' badge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
A work mate has got a Bull Mastiff and is constantly going on to anyone who will listen (and look at the pics) how BIG he is, how NASTY he is and how he would take your arm off to look at you.

The poor thing doesn't step outside the front door, the kids next door are sh*tting themselves. I asked what they were doing this weekend and it was 'Off to Birmingham on the piss and a night over'. So, that dog will not see sight of outside until Sunday because no one else dares look after him.

I'd be ashamed to have something like that as part of the family, but some people seem to love it. ;) I don't get it.

We've seen it going to rescue places and kennels the last few weeks. One bloke asked about a dog that couldn't be homed due to aggression and he turned round and said 'I can pale it though, it would be ok after a belting'. In front of the people who run the show????

:sad:

PaulB

Legendary Member
You know what they say, the bigger the dog, the smaller the dick. My dog's a miniature Yorkshire terrier.

No I don't get that either. It's partly for that reason I walk my dog in different places at the weekend. All the weekend dogs get released in the park for the first time that week, out of control, maybe aggresive and just badly behaved. I've never understood why people want to own aggresive dogs or own dogs when they're not going to walk or socialize them.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

PaulB said:
You know what they say, the bigger the dog, the smaller the dick. My dog's a miniature Yorkshire terrier.

So it's got a small dick.

They say the owner follows the dog so..... :biggrin:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Crackle said:
No I don't get that either. It's partly for that reason I walk my dog in different places at the weekend. All the weekend dogs get released in the park for the first time that week, out of control, maybe aggresive and just badly behaved. I've never understood why people want to own aggresive dogs or own dogs when they're not going to walk or socialize them.

I think it's just such a shame. Plus the breed he's got can hardly breathe.

peanut

its just another status symbol like a new leather sofa from DFS . Same mentality that sees people put spoilers and big exhaust pipes on their scoobys :tongue:

All the council housing estates I work in are buried in big aggressive dogs either throwing themselves at windows and doors or trying to climb over 6 foot garden fences to eat you.Left on their own all day whilst their owners are at work. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Like Crackle I would avoid the park of a weekend and see the familiar faces and tails doing the same.

Having an out of control, "hard" or aggressive dog is only a sign of their own shortcomings as a pet owner.
It's not always easy but some folk don't even try :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
It just gives big dogs a bad name and then winds the dog up to the point that it reacts badly and 'justifies' it's perceived reputation.

When I got a Rottie as a rescue we called her Mollie so that she had a nice soft name. We also made sure that she was settled, happy and friendly with everyone. Her guarding instinct was good enough without having to bolster it through nastiness and so she was just lovely to be with but made a lot of noise if someone tried to break in.

Night Train said:
It just gives big dogs a bad name and then winds the dog up to the point that it reacts badly and 'justifies' it's perceived reputation.

When I got a Rottie as a rescue we called her Mollie so that she had a nice soft name. We also made sure that she was settled, happy and friendly with everyone. Her guarding instinct was good enough without having to bolster it through nastiness and so she was just lovely to be with but made a lot of noise if someone tried to break in.

I think my dog was playing with a Rottie today but it's tail wasn't docked and so you could actually tell it was friendly even though it had the usual thousand yard stare. They actually look nice dogs with tails. He seemed to run out of puff pretty easy though. A quick sprint and then stop, my dog had to keep waiting for him.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Night Train said:

I like that post, thanks NT. Often, we have thought about having, what is perceived to be a nasty dog and backed off from it, even though 2 women living alone can be a bit scared, so to speak. It is a very thin line between wanting protection and wanting something that will go for anything.

As you probably know, we are on the look out and a few nice Rotties and cross Rotties have taken my fancy.

Don't want to verge the thread away, because I am talking about people who want and enjoy their dogs to be really aggressive. That is what I don't understand.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Crackle said:
I think my dog was playing with a Rottie today but it's tail wasn't docked and so you could actually tell it was friendly even though it had the usual thousand yard stare. They actually look nice dogs with tails. He seemed to run out of puff pretty easy though. A quick sprint and then stop, my dog had to keep waiting for him.
Mine stil had her tail, it was a great tail to wave around.

I used to see quite a few idiots with 'I am hard' dogs and then they all dissapeared for a while, I haven't seen any for a couple of years now. It worries me that the poor dogs are a phase or a fad with the idiots and they just end up getting rescued, caged and difficult to rehome.

Top Bottom