Nasty Near Miss Witnessed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the fact he wasn't in primary gives the VW driver the right to cut him up and almost knock him off? Maybe the cyclist could have been better positioned, but it certainly wasn't his fault.
If the cyclist had gone left he would have in turn collided with pedestrian tghe who was also crossing against the lights.

Everyone in that scenario was at fault, cyclist, driver, bus driver, peds.

I saw someone do almost exactly the same thing to a motorcycle on Friday, also driving a Golf.

GrasB

Veteran
As the lights turn green we have a bus with a cyclist in front pulling away from the lights, with a cyclist doing a damn good job of leaving the bus standing. Both are going straight on so take priority over someone turning right. Some pedestrians taking the opportunity to cross the side road crossing in what seems a safe window as neither the cyclist nor the bus are turning left. Then we have the Golf driver who accelerates forwards in an attempt to beat the bus to the crossing not taking into consideration the movement of the cyclist or the fact there were pedestrians (quite legally) crossing the road. There was only one person who was acting in a dangerous manner & that was the WV driver trying to force a gap in front of the bus when the situation didn't provide gap for him to go through.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd report it - and looking closely the only one here that's definately in the wrong is the VW driver. The bus driver seems to have slowed to avoid an accident, the cyclist didn't see anyone!

GrasB

Veteran
I wasn't sure either way but I tend not to look at indicators anymore. The standard of their use is soo variable they're next to useless.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A perfect storm of stupidity all round on the part of the car driver, the bus driver, the pedestrians and the cyclist. As far as the bus-v-car thing it was them both being pigheaded, the bus could have let him go but decided to have game of chicken with him.

Most if all the cyclist was being the biggest idiot - trying to filter up the inside of a bus and fling himself blind into a junction.

Wha? You're not making any sense here. The only idiot in the video is the car driver. Can't see the bus, cyclist, or pedestrian doing anything wrong.

Reactions: gaz

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It looks like a normal day on the road, see this stuff all the time, i know the driver was out of order, but they all had enough room, well sort of. at least no one was hurt.

Bicycle

Interesting thread and (through clenched teeth) interesting footage. My thoughts:

1. Not clear whether the Golf is indicating. If not, he is naughty but no different from almost every driver in my county.

2. I think the cyclist is fine. Snappily away, but that's his right. Not doing anything illegal or discourteous.

3. The bus driver seems good to me. He appears to slow for the Golf, but in a throttling-off way rather than a middle-pedal way.

4. The pedestrians are not a part of this for me. They are a long way from the Golf. That is normal urban-junction pedestrian road-crossing to me.

5. The Golf seems (seems) to dab the footbrake to swish between bike and bus. My guess (can't be anything more) is that he went to whip across ahead of the bus and noticed the cyclist late. He avoided both but will have scared the cyclist and inconvenienced the bus driver. It was a poor piece of driving.

Many, many drivers will see a slow vehicle at the head of the facing line of traffic when waiting to turn right at a red light. Some of them will think it smart to move quickly and get across its bows before it reaches the centre of the junction. They are usually wrong. It is not a smart thing to do. it doesn't allow for unseen bicycles and motorbikes and it introduces too many variables when there is over a ton of steel moving between other road users.

I think it is poor driving and I wouldn't report it. However, had there been contact between any of the participants, it would be the car driver Isd look to to foot the bill.

GrasB

Veteran
It maybe normal but that doesn't make it acceptable for other road users to force people to take evasive action on a daily basis because they need to prove how big... small their appendage is.

Top Bottom