National anthem....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
At the time that was written (late 19th century) the English were so full of themselves they regarded Britain and England as synonymous, just as today you find French people who regard the Union Jack as the flag of Angleterre.

J1888

Über Member
A couple of years ago one of my Lebanese customers from Nigeria was granted British citizenship and asked me to take him along to Southport Town Hall for his private ceremony. It was a hoot; they went through all the stuff then the Registrar, an elderly lady in a suit, solemnly pressed a button on a cheapo cassette player and we stood to attention while the national anthem was played through this naff plastic speaker. My Lebanese friend, a tall handsome guy, was overwhelmed with emotion and stepped forward saying gravely to the Registrar: "Madame, I am going to embrace you!" then planted a kiss on each of her cheeks, French politician style, at which she, completely taken aback, blushed deep red and quavered: "Oh Mr Jamal...... we haven't quite finished yet!"

Fair play to him!

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3833774, member: 43827"]What is the link between patriotism and stupidity? That's a facile statement, in the same way as saying traitors are stupid or bullies/terrorists are cowards.
Or is it just your way of telling us that you are not stupid. To my mind making facile statements demonstrates at least a level of stupidity.[/QUOTE]

My arrogance, perhaps - my stupidity, no. Patriotism is irrational, and therefore only the stupid would support it. QED.

It is simplifying Patriotism to what it is, rather than being lured into the false complexities it pretends to have. It is virtually impossible to be facile about Patriotism.

Or do you not agree that Patriotism is irrational?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Come, come, this has all been decided. If the National Anthem ever needs replacing, the Archers Theme Tune will be pressed in to service.

(The lyrics will be Tum te tum te tum te tum. Tum te tum te tum tum...)

Nah - it'll be 'Sailing By'...

do you honestly expect our leaders to choose either of those 'decent' options? I don't. It'll be a Boyle/Barlow collaboration... if we're lucky!

Top Bottom