National Asparagus Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Asparagus cutting season runs from St. George's Day to the summer solstice - June 21st.
Coincidentally the summer solstice is when Boris is lifting all our restrictions. Allegedly.
There is no connection between the two. Asparagus season has always been thus.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The best vegetable ever! I can't wait for domestic asparagus to be in the shops (hopefully this weekend) and for my wee-wee to be stinky. It's a small price to pay for that unmistakable flavour.
I don't bother with imported asparagus, it doesn't even taste remotely similar, and that's before you even start on the environmental aspect.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My asparagus is yet to make an appearance. That said, it usually does on the 5th of May, so not long to wait.
Mine, only planted last year, has a single spike about 3 inches high. Have to wait a whole year before I can harvest anything.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Used to grow it in the garden at home, but now we grow it on two allotment plots.

That's the royal "we", because my wife does at least 99% of the work . I only do the odd bit of digging/watering/weeding/picking and of course the eating. There's nothing like fresh produce.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Mine, only planted last year, has a single spike about 3 inches high. Have to wait a whole year before I can harvest anything.
Actually I checked mine today and there is a spike nosing out by half an inch, yay. I waited two years before harvesting (but I think you'd get away with taking a small number of spears after one year), I think this will be their sixth year. It's definitely a highlight of the year when I start cutting. :hungry:

Do you guys use one of these to cut your stems, or just any old kitchen knife?

Top Bottom