National Championships - All Countries (*Spoilers*)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
No Tour this year for Sagan,give someone else a chance !
Feck knows where I read this ? Looks like he's riding,at least it will be a "easier" green jersey pick

U

User169

Mathieu van der Poel wins the NL men’s road race! Used his CX skills in the final sprint to bash Sinkeldam out of the way.

He’s an amazing talent. I guess we’ll be seeing him more on the road, although his stated target is MTB in Tokyo.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I went along to watch the TTs and the Road Races, I was blown away with how well the whole thing was organised, the set-up in Stamfordham on Sunday, and the way the road closures worked. Really good event, and so very different to how things were back in the old days of British Cycling, (or BCF). The weather helped, although I'm not sure how much fun the Ryal Climb was into the strong headwind, just glad I didn't have to try to ride up there quickly.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Mathieu van der Poel won the NL MTB national champs yesterday, so he's now the current national champ at CX, road and MTB.

Phenomenal talent. Will be interesting to see how his career develops, whether he continues to pursue CX and MTB or tries to make a name for himself on the road - presumably one or two WorldTour teams will already be taking an interest. Although he might be better off aiming to be the new Sven Nys rather than the new Peter Sagan...

U

User169

Phenomenal talent. Will be interesting to see how his career develops, whether he continues to pursue CX and MTB or tries to make a name for himself on the road - presumably one or two WorldTour teams will already be taking an interest. Although he might be better off aiming to be the new Sven Nys rather than the new Peter Sagan...

He’s probably in the fortunate position of being able to do whatever the hell he likes! I don’t think he’d find it difficult to get a place on a road team if that’s what he wants.

One thing I wonder about is whether he has it up top. He’s an incredible rider technically and when things are going well he can look unbeatable in CX and MTB. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to take much to shake him (technical issues or small injuries) and he goes backwards rapidly.

Van Aert on the other hand doesn’t look quite as gifted technically, but man he’s belligerent.

And your man Tom Pidcock had a good victory the other night - wheelies over the line a la Sagan.

Some top talent to look forward to, although I hope they stay in CX for a while longer.

Top Bottom