National Cycle Network: some routes abandoned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
1595190610509.png

The NCN in my area is quit indicative of wider issues.
The red route is the A303/A30 trunk road.

Despite living very near to such a trunk route (and virtually on the older route, the A30), there are no NCN routes heading in an east-west direction, short of a 30-40 mile detour to route 2!

Now, to be fair, route 25 is a lovely way to get to Wimborne, and, by extension, Poole, but the trailway section is gravel, with plenty of pedestrians, so not exactly the fastest route. The latter section is on road. Very quiet roads, but they're still shared with traffic.
TImelapse of the road section
But that means it's a compromise for commuters, and leisure users. A decent one, but still a compromise.

BurningLegs

Veteran
After reading the article, I’d say I’m in favour of this. I think the quote from sustrans about “the race for miles” makes a lot of sense.

I don’t see a sign for an NCN route and think “brilliant, that’ll be a high quality route” I tend to think “wonder if that’s better or worse than mixing it with traffic on this route” which is a shame.

Hopefully this change will give “quality over quantity” in the short/medium term and raise the bar for future routes in the medium/long term.

classic33

Leg End Member
From the linked article
"Almost 19% of the network will now be designated for experienced cyclists only, and 4.5% (753 miles) of busy on-road sections will have all signage removed."

It's on-road sections that are being removed. Paths free from traffic* being preferred.

*Bicycles are traffic though, as well as legal road vehicles.

Shreds

A lot of the NCN was put in place due to local politics so you often were taken through some pretty dodgy areas, because the council were of that persuasion and put up money for it.

However on the whole Grimshaw achieved a remarkable success at a time when cycling was not as popular.

The growth of cycling could to some extent be seen to be down to the visibility of such routes to the non cycling pblic and encouraging them to get on their bikes.

But like a lot of things in the domain of local councils, a lot are atrociously maintained and an actual danger to cyclists with potholes and poor surfaces.

Plus unless you are travelling at 5-7 mph they are dangerous and poor to use. So like a lot of LA initiatives, they cry wolf over budgets but reward themselves with very generous travel and overtime payments, some of the scams are beyond belief. (Rarely do the public unearth what really goes on).

There is even one route near us where the new bridge that was installed alongside a new main road bridge is too narrow for prams, trikes, trailers and even wheelchairs.

Sustrans did in the early days produce a design guide, but clearly some planners and designers in local government didnt have the intelligence or time to use it. You wonder if some could even read.

So improvements are necessary and Boris’s millions should be spent improving and critically analysing why some sections have been created by fools. It is they who should have it docked from their wages rather than just closing a quarter of the network.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Looks like it could be a positive move that will increase the chances of actually getting some quality infrastructure in place.

Shreds

Is that still on the map?

Yes it is - Route 64 Pyewipe, Lincoln.

I go there regularly and many cyclists complain about it. Others just have a very long walk to avoid or could feasibly scramble up to the A46 through the undergrowth and risk being hit at 70mph rather than using the cycle/pedestrian bridge.

Cyclists are advised to dismount, which is barmy because that takes up more space, and despite its length, you cannot pass someone coming in the opposite direction across it.

Dreadful planning.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Most of it is a waste of time anyway. Whether there's a sustrans sign or not I will cycle upon a road or bridleway if it's appropriate to do so.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looks like it could be a positive move that will increase the chances of actually getting some quality infrastructure in place.
I don't see how. I suspect no tears will be shed in county halls over the loss of red numbers and no energy expended in regaining them. I even suspect many councils will be glad not to have Sustrans volunteer rangers checking the routes and reporting faults so diligently.

Slick

Guru
I don't see how. I suspect no tears will be shed in county halls over the loss of red numbers and no energy expended in regaining them. I even suspect many councils will be glad not to have Sustrans volunteer rangers checking the routes and reporting faults so diligently.
Yeah I suppose it could go either way depending on where you are but I was thinking of one in particular here which like most round here are shambolic anyway and have no influence on my choice of route and I think that's a shame. I'm involved locally in funding a very short stretch here which is estimated ar 3.5 million for just over 4 miles on an old railway line.

Reactions: mjr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd like to see them clearly labelled according to whether they are suitable for all bikes, including road bikes. So many aren't. MTB-only, or passable with a touring/gravel bike in dry weather (wet too, as long as you don't mind being spattered and grinding down your drivetrain).

Top Bottom