National Cycle Route NCN7 - North Ayrshire - “Plug the Gap"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
NCN route7 runs from Sunderland to Inverness. In my part of the world, it joins Glasgow to Ayr.

Most of the route around here is traffic free - mostly paths through Glasgow and Paisley, then an old railway route through Johnstone, Lochwinnoch to Glengarnock.

From Kilwinning (where it crosses route 73, so traffic-free routes to the ferry at Ardrossan, or to Kilmarnock, it’s again largely traffic free to Irvine, Troon, Prestwick then Ayr.

The problem is the section from Glengarnock past Dalry to Kilwinning. There’s an 8 mile section which is on public road.

It’s mainly farm and minor roads, part of the “core path” network, and an advisory speed limit of 20mph for cars. But that’s just advisory - national speed limit applies. There are some bad bends on it with poor visibility, some very steep sections, farm traffic, and it’s a “rat run” for cars trying to avoid a well known traffic bottleneck. Personally, I’ve not had any problems on it, but it’s not really a place where you’d want to take novice cyclists or children.

There are proposals for alternative routes, and a feasibility study has just been published, describing 3 alternatives for the north half and 3 for the south half. These range from widening and separating the pavement alongside the existing main road (cheap option, but not popular), to a new route, to re-instating old railway track.

More info, and a copy of the report, can be found on the “Plug the Gap” facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589621264683662/

I’m sure they’d appreciate input and comment from anyone local, or who cycles in that area.

Top Bottom