1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

national jersey

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by 515mm, 12 Apr 2008.

1. 515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

It's a question that's probably been asked before but here goes anyway.....

Where can I buy one of those lovely red white and blue British team jerseys that our heroes of the track were sporting recently?

Many thanks.........

2. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

ooooh the consensus is you dont wear them! i have some from a couple of years ago and i do:thumbsup: I was given it by someone who works with the every now and again.

3. OP
    OP
    515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

I think it's time to change the consensus. I understand the premise and I would never wear a champion's jersey (unless I became one - natch) but I think we should be able to support our national squad. I am a proud Welshman and yet I would willingly wear the union flag jersey as it represents me as well as my English, Scottish and N.Irish cousins.

You wouldn't catch me in yellow, pink, green, polkadot or rainbow, however. That would be vulgar.:eek:

4. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I wondered about this, tbh, after a comment I read in another thread. F'rexample, I really like the Prendas Belgian Champion jersey, because I have a family connection with the country - however, I'm not (and never will be) Belgian champion...

515mm, maybe the compromise is one of the Foska flag jerseys?

5. OP
    OP
    515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

oooh! I fancy one of those soviet jerseys now!:eek:

6. OP
    OP
    515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

OOOH! they do a Chianti Classico 'official seal' one also! *hic*:eek:

7. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

What about the Prendas Tom Simpson World Champion jersey? It is a nice way to remember him although I wouldn't wear it riding up Ventoux...

8. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Foska do a nice line in jerseys inc the national flags.

9. John the Monkey

I think I'd see that more as a tribute/homage, but as said earlier, I'm unsure of the ettiquette surrounding it, the champion stripes in particular, and team kit in a more general sense. This doesn't seem to happen in other sports, unless all the folk in replica football shirts are committing some dreadful faux pas :rolleyes:

10. eciclo

eciclo New Member

Try All4cycling

11. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

Nothing on this site.....your own site.....

12. OP
    OP
    515mm

515mm Well-Known Member

The Tom Simpson Homage jersey is a nice idea and certainly one for when I ride Mt Ventoux, someday, to set a bidon at his memorial.

I want to show support for our national squad though and maybe put a few coppers in the coffers. It's how our local and national rugby teams gather revenue, after all. I can wear a Lions rugby shirt in any rugby club or stadia in Britain and be recognised as a fan of the sport. Are cyclists so pompous and superior that they'd sneer at slightly *ahem* flabby me in a team GB jersey because I'm obviously not a professional athlete?

13. mr Mag00

mr Mag00 rising member

they certainly dont advertise it on the BCF site.

14. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

15. John the Monkey

I don't think it's that, so much as that there is different ettiquette in different sports - no one would blink an eye at you wearing an England shirt to play five a side, for example, but walk into your local karate class wearing a black belt that you didn't earn there and you'd be in for it...