Nausea after Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not drinking enough and possibly a sugar crash too.

It may not be far for some folk but in the early part of learning to ride further a person might need a top up of fuel.

Take a banana and eat it about half way. It will take 20 mins to feed through to your body but should stop feeling terrible.

I have felt the same when I first started riding.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Not drinking enough and possibly a sugar crash too.

It may not be far for some folk but in the early part of learning to ride further a person might need a top up of fuel.

Take a banana and eat it about half way. It will take 20 mins to feed through to your body but should stop feeling terrible.

I have felt the same when I first started riding.

Come to think of it when I started riding again in May after years away from any kind of exercise I remember feeling awful afterwards. I wasn't nauseus but I did drink two full water bottles on those 10 mile rides which probably helped. You do have to feed your body based on your own body's needs. Some people like me prefer not to eat before a ride. If I want to fuel up I'll take a pack or two of Gu with me to eat/slurp during the ride. They work really well for me. After a ride I make sure I've re-hydrated, especially in this heat we are having now. That means having more than just water. There are all sorts of nutrients that you lose while riding and exerting yourself that have to be replaced. The banana is a great idea.

Speedmaster

Hi guys. I am experiencing the same problem. I cycled 26miles on Saturday which i know dosen't sound alot, but then i have a mountain bike. I felt absoultly fine on the bike, although i did have to walk up a hill once or twice. About 15 minutes after the ride, i started to feel sick. I didn't feel like i had completly worn myself out though, just felt sick. Again i googled it, and some say it could be to do with pushing yourself to hard or something. I drank 1 and a half bottles of watter on the ride, and had 2 cereal bars consisting of 57carbohydrates. Can anyone please help to find out how to stop feeling sick and what is causing me to feel this way after the ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you eating and drinking properly before cycling too? Warming down properly at end of ride? Eating and drinking after the ride?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Only a random stab in the dark but how are your eyes ? Could it be cheap glasses while riding are making your eyes play up and making you feel travel sick ?
personally I don’t think it would be the exercise itself or lack of food or water
Try a brisk walk for hour and half - will be much the same effort - if you feel sick then , then nutrition
If you don’t feel bad then either being bent over or something else is causing it - trial and error
Good luck

Speedmaster

Are you eating and drinking properly before cycling too? Warming down properly at end of ride? Eating and drinking after the ride?
Well the thing is i am slowing down towards the end, as i don't have as much energy, so yes i could say i do cool down

Speedmaster

Only a random stab in the dark but how are your eyes ? Could it be cheap glasses while riding are making your eyes play up and making you feel travel sick ?
personally I don’t think it would be the exercise itself or lack of food or water
Try a brisk walk for hour and half - will be much the same effort - if you feel sick then , then nutrition
If you don’t feel bad then either being bent over or something else is causing it - trial and error
Good luck
Well i have to wear glasses all the time for long distance, but what exactly do you mean?
Do you mean a brisk walk instead of a cycle

vickster

Legendary Member
Well i have to wear glasses all the time for long distance, but what exactly do you mean?
Is it happening after every ride?
Have you spoken to a Dr? For example had your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked? How old are you?

Speedmaster

Is it happening after every ride?
Have you spoken to a Dr? For example had your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked? How old are you?
No not every ride, only like the longer ones. My longest ride is only 30miles, and i felt absoultly fine then. But i was with a buddy that was quite new to cycling, and i was going alot more of a slower pace than usual.
I am only 16yrs old

Speedmaster

So because i was going slower on the 30mile ride and feeling fine, and when i do a 26mile ride or less and i do feel sick afterwards, does that show that i need to slow down my pace, and slowly build the pace up over time?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Just thinking do an exercise same length and effort as biking
If I wear cheap sunglasses driving I feel bad at end of it , wouldn’t have thought hour and half at say 7mph would make you feel bad normally - unless it’s not up mount ventoux ! Something doesn’t sound right and just trying to find out what
And I hope you find it so you can enjoy things

Speedmaster

Just thinking do an exercise same length and effort as biking
If I wear cheap sunglasses driving I feel bad at end of it , wouldn’t have thought hour and half at say 7mph would make you feel bad normally - unless it’s not up mount ventoux ! Something doesn’t sound right and just trying to find out what
And I hope you find it so you can enjoy things
yep thanks for your help. I don;t think it's to do with glasses, as i said i did 30miles at a slower pace and felt fine afterwards. I did 26miles in 2hr 19mins. Averaged 11.2mph. Maybe that's too fast for me at the min and i need to slowly build it up. What do you think?

Yes, I've eaten something like 2 eggs on toast. I did have acid re-flux a couple of weeks ago, which kept waking me up, but I got rid of that by taking something for it.

Usually takes me 1 & 1/2 hours to cover the 15 miles. But that's just at a slow pace which I prefer.

Two eggs eaten just before a ride would make me feel sick, I usually prefer about 2 hours between eating and heading out for a ride. And 1/2 a pint of water drank just before a 90 minute ride wouldn't be enough for me. I easily drink a whole 750ml water bottle during an hour ride on 70f cloudy day. When it's warmer I drink about a 1 litre per hour riding.

A quick tip I was given years ago was to weigh myself before and after rides. If I'm down a couple of pounds after a ride then I need to drink about 2 pints of water to rehydrate myself.

Speedmaster

So what do you all think. Am i going to fast during the ride to make me feel sick afterwards, or am not eating/drinking enough?

Top Bottom