Nausea after Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
So what do you all think. Am i going to fast during the ride to make me feel sick afterwards, or am not eating/drinking enough?
Doubt you're going too fast, more likely not eating or drinking enough

Go to see the doctor. How old are you? Have you ever suffered acid reflex for example? Are you a larger person? How fit are you? How long have you been riding? How much other exercise do you do?

Speedmaster

I am 16years old. Never sufferedacid reflex. I am about 165cm tall.(Roughly) That's what i don't know. How could a do a fitness test without special resources, apart from bike. I have been riding for about 1 year, but rides have only started to increase about september last year. I try to do workout excercises in the week, but maybe don't rest enough.

Speedmaster

So i did say a 50km - 30miles, if i did a 3/4 effort, how often should i drink eat?
I tend to have 3 small sips every 15minutes, and have a breakfast bar every hour. But maybe i'm doing it wrong. Or maybe i'm not eating/drinking enough pre ride.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
So i did say a 50km - 30miles, if i did a 3/4 effort, how often should i drink eat?
I tend to have 3 small sips every 15minutes, and have a breakfast bar every hour. But maybe i'm doing it wrong. Or maybe i'm not eating/drinking enough pre ride.
Maybe what others have said. Weigh yourself before and after ride , if you have lost a lot between then dehydration
Or google it -or talk to a doc

Kajjal

Guru
Some people suffer if they eat to close to starting a ride and even if eating too much on a ride. Try giving yourself a hour after eating before riding and don’t eat during the ride. Two hours riding without eating should be fine for most people. Any pre existing health conditions and weight also have an impact.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Useful info here from the BUPA website:

"One quick way to test if you’re hydrated is to check the colour of your urine.

hydration-levels-test.jpg

Top tip

It can take time for fluids to be absorbed into your body. So, drink steadily during the day and aim to drink around 450ml of fluid in the two to four hours before you exercise. After that, drink more if you feel thirsty."

At 16 yrs old you are still putting a lot of energy into growing I should imagine so you need to eat well and rest/sleep well. But don't rely on chocolate bars and fizzy drinks as these are 'empty' calories - they have a very short term effect then can leave you feeling worse than before you had them. Better to use things like fruity flapjack, peanut butter sarnies, dried fruit etc alongside water to drink whilst you are out. I'd recommend a good slug of drink every 20 minutes. Hydration outside of exercise is also important - if you are dehydrated before you exercise this will make it worse.
But as others have said if this is a persistent problem go and see your GP - they would need to check you are not pre-diabetic

alicat

Legendary Member
We can't say. All you can do is try drinking more beforehand, making sure you have eaten an hour before your ride, easing up during the ride and going less far until it stops happening. Then you can build up from there. If it still keeps happening despite being more careful you should go see your doctor.

CentralCommuter

I hope Mbosh is ok.

Speedmaster

Some people suffer if they eat to close to starting a ride and even if eating too much on a ride. Try giving yourself a hour after eating before riding and don’t eat during the ride. Two hours riding without eating should be fine for most people. Any pre existing health conditions and weight also have an impact.
But i thought you were meant to eat 50 - 60 grams of carbohydrates every hour in the ride??

Speedmaster

I have got 2 weeks of holiday stating next week, and i am aiming to do 2 long rides next week and 2 long rides the week after
I will try and stick to a 10mph average and no more, and i will try and drink enough before the ride. I actually think that is what i'm not doing. And will see what happens. As i said before, i had an average speed of 7.8 when i did that 30mile ride and i was fine, so may be that i'm going to fast:blush:....even though it dosen't feel fast

Solocle

Über Member
But i thought you were meant to eat 50 - 60 grams of carbohydrates every hour in the ride??
That's important for longer rides, not shorter ones. I don't think I've eaten during a race, although a gel isn't necessarily impossible. But you should have enough glycogen stores for around 90 minutes of hard riding.

Where I think lack of eating really came to bite me was a 300 km ride (attempt at 500). While I did stop at controls and bought snacks, my first proper meal was over 250 km in. Lots of pasta, but it wasn't enough to hold back the bonk that steamrolled me, and led to me abandoning the ride.

But for the first 15 hours, the pace was relatively gentle, and I didn't eat a lot. Certainly not 1kg of carbs!

Speedmaster

That's important for longer rides, not shorter ones. I don't think I've eaten during a race, although a gel isn't necessarily impossible. But you should have enough glycogen stores for around 90 minutes of hard riding.

Where I think lack of eating really came to bite me was a 300 km ride (attempt at 500). While I did stop at controls and bought snacks, my first proper meal was over 250 km in. Lots of pasta, but it wasn't enough to hold back the bonk that steamrolled me, and led to me abandoning the ride.

But for the first 15 hours, the pace was relatively gentle, and I didn't eat a lot. Certainly not 1kg of carbs!
But you are not meant to leave it long before you eat. You are meant to start refueling as soon as you leave the house. That is for rides that are over 1- 2hours

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But you are not meant to leave it long before you eat. You are meant to start refueling as soon as you leave the house. That is for rides that are over 1- 2hours

Nope, you don’t need to eat for a 1-2 hour ride. That 60g is a kind of upper limit on what you can digest an hour. That’s also dependant on how hard you are working. The harder your effort the less you can digest.

Its always fine to eat after a 1-2 hour ride. Eating when your stomach has a decent blood flow.

Speedmaster

Nope, you don’t need to eat for a 1-2 hour ride. That 60g is a kind of upper limit on what you can digest an hour. That’s also dependant on how hard you are working. The harder your effort the less you can digest.

Its always fine to eat after a 1-2 hour ride. Eating when your stomach has a decent blood flow.
Ok so for a 1-2hr ride just a aim to have 2 500ml bottlesof water, and any longer ride take energy bars?

Top Bottom