Nausea after Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I already created a thread on here about feeling tired after a ride, but I have now developed another problem and that's I feel sick after a ride. A quick look on the internet tells me it could be down to dehydration and that could be what is also causing me to feel fatigued too. What do you guys drink and eat before a ride because I haven't really thought about stuff like that. Also, how long after you eat do you wait until you go for a ride?

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Depends on how far you ride and how hard as well and your weight as well I think.

I don't ride far so just have a drink or 2 from a flask.

vickster

Legendary Member
How far are you riding? Do you take water with you? if so, how much do you drink?

personally I don’t have any particular eating or drinking regime, but then I only cycle 15-20 miles, now lockdown is over that may or may not include a latte with a friend mid ride.
If not, I may or may not have a few mouthfuls of water, more if it’s hot, and then a tea or coffee when I get home

OP
OP
M

MBosh

I've extended it to 15 miles now and while I have no problem doing that at a leisurely pace, I feel sick as a parrot when I get off the bike at the end of it. Funnily enough, I don't notice the sickness when I'm on the bike.

I usually drink 1/2 pint before I set off on a ride and don't drink during it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe drink a pint (water not ale). What have you eaten before the ride?
how long does that 15 miles take?
Do you have any issues with reflux or similar usually? A hiatus hernia perhaps?
Maybe being bent over on the bike is exacerbating the issue?
Best go discuss with your doctor

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Maybe drink a pint (water not ale). What have you eaten before the ride?
how long does that 15 miles take?
Do you have any issues with reflux or similar usually? A hiatus hernia perhaps?
Maybe being bent over on the bike is exacerbating the issue?
Best go discuss with your doctor
Yes, I've eaten something like 2 eggs on toast. I did have acid re-flux a couple of weeks ago, which kept waking me up, but I got rid of that by taking something for it.

Usually takes me 1 & 1/2 hours to cover the 15 miles. But that's just at a slow pace which I prefer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I've eaten something like 2 eggs on toast. I did have acid re-flux a couple of weeks ago, which kept waking me up, but I got rid of that by taking something for it.
see your doctor and get a prescription for omeprazole or similar (or buy OTC, discuss with pharmacist). Maybe try taking daily for a week and see if that helps

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Without knowing how fit you are, your health etc etc is its very hard to say , hve you recently started riding and are you pushing yourself to hard atm ?
For 15 miles i wouldnt eat or drink anything special , in fact my commute home is 10 and thats after a full shift at work but everyone's different

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Without knowing how fit you are, your health etc etc is its very hard to say , hve you recently started riding and are you pushing yourself to hard atm ?
For 15 miles i wouldnt eat or drink anything special , in fact my commute home is 10 and thats after a full shift at work but everyone's different
No, I've been cycling for 5months or more and only started to feel sick in the last few of weeks. I'm not pushing myself at all, I'm just going at a slow pace. Also, it feels like the sickness has got worse over the course of 3 weeks. I don't feel sick while on the bike, as I've already mentioned, it's just when I get off and the sickness can last for hours.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always take water with me. If it's over 2 hours than 'll take a mix of water and carb powder (substitute for 50/50 orange juice/water). I go off about 500ml per hour. If it's hot be prepared to take more. We did a 4-5 hour MTB ride a couple of months ago, and I went through 3 litres of 50/50 orange juice.

Before rides, breakfast or lunch. Add in a banana.

Gibbo9

Veteran
If you are riding 15 miles over 1 1/2 hours then you should be drinking during that time. 1/2 pint of water prior to 90 mins exercise is not sufficient.

I ride approximately 30km per day with a long ride on Saturdays. For my daily 30k jolly I drink 500ml before and carry 750ml on the bike for during. This is usually a hydro tab mix of some sort. I don't particularly need food before this as I have discovered that fasting prior to 30k really suits me.

For my Saturday ride usually 60-100k I get up at 4am and have breakfast immediately, usually porridge with raisins or banana and drink 500ml of hydro drink which I pre mix the night before. I will also usually have a strong sweet coffee.

I will carry 2 750ml bottles on the bike of hydro and 2 500ml bottles in my jersey pockets (35 degrees out here at 0600). I also carry a couple of gels if I have planned a hilly route. For my 100k ride on Saturday I also had to stop at a 7/11 to purchase 2 750ml pre mix hydro as it was so warm. I also bought 2 peanut butter choc bars which saw me through to the end no problem.

Everyone is different of course and it takes a lot of trial and error to find out what works for you. Environment is key also, prior to coming out here I would never feel the need to eat during a 100k ride now I know that I have to eat something during the ride if I am going to go over 80k. I have attributed this to the heat out here which can be very sapping indeed.

Enjoy the riding but very important you stay hydrated. Play about with things see what works.

MntnMan62

Über Member
How hot has it been where you are? If you are experiencing the same hot humid weather that we are having in the Northeast of the US, it could be the heat. You should really be taking two water bottles filled with water or Gatorade with you, especially with the heat. You don't want to drink all of the water before you ride and then have nothing while you are riding. You will sweat and lose a fair amount of water during the ride and you need to replace it during your ride. It is also possible that you are more sensitive to heat. I say this because you've been riding for 5 months but have only experienced this issue the past few weeks when it has been quite warm. Also, I prefer not to eat right before I ride unless it's something easily digested. Eggs and toast are probably not the best thing to eat before the ride. But that's probably not it since I assume you've been eating before your rides for 5 months. If taking water with you does not solve the issue during your next ride, you ought to go see your doctor. There could be something else going on that none of us is thinking about.

whitesix

Regular
Yes; see your Doctor; as stated above, is the best advise possible. However, I can remember not knowing which end was going to erupt after finishing the London Marathon and completing a marathon cycle ride (with someone who was about to compete in the World Triathlon) over the Purbecks in Dorset, many, many years ago; but I put both of these occasions down to pure exhaustion!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@MBosh How old are you? Do you have any underlying health conditions? Do you live somewhere hilly? Is your bicycle in good working order - spinning freely?
5mph average is very genteel considering walking pace is 3 to 4 mph, so something is not adding-up here....

Top Bottom